No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Welz tango ?  (Read 1799 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Welz tango ?
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2022, 10:18:16 PM »
I mentioned Loetz or Kralik because I originally thought this bowl was  Kralik but I now think was Loetz and appeared in the above named exhibition in a different colourway as Loetz iirc:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=36855.0;attach=58998;image

The rim was dark purple and the polished pontil mark and base finish looked in my view, like the OPs bowl I thought.

Here is a link to the page on Loetz.com that EW quoted the information from regarding Loetz and Powolny's designs for them (more information on there):

https://www.loetz.com/designers/michael-powolny

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2022, 10:39:37 PM »
Very interesting replies, I’m sure I and many others are learning a lot of new things .The one thing I think I can add at this stage and having the advantage of handling the bowl is it does have age related wear on the feet and on the inside and outside of the bowl.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline English weather

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • England
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2022, 11:22:20 PM »
Very interesting replies, I’m sure I and many others are learning a lot of new things .The one thing I think I can add at this stage and having the advantage of handling the bowl is it does have age related wear on the feet and on the inside and outside of the bowl.

No doubting the age of the bowl.

Offline English weather

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • England
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2022, 11:27:07 PM »
The Tango Sklo exhibition in 2012 showed a variety of colour combinations from a number of different manufacturers ( not just Loetz) under the name of Tango Sklo -  in the Muzeum Vysociny Havlickuv Brod in collaboration with Glass Museum Novy Bor:

https://img25.rajce.idnes.cz/d2502/6/6618/6618931_d7add26663f00a4768ca6795ee744bc3/images/02_tango_sklo_-_promeny_barevnych_kontrastu.jpg?ver=3

That is the error of their ways. (Museum)

No other company produced Tango. Only Loetz. Others produced follow on in the style of Tango. That a museum should choose to use such a title is to facilitate the errors now made in attribution.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2022, 07:45:31 AM »
I wonder if the horse hasn’t bolted on the everything copying the Loetz tango design being put under the same Monica,and wasn’t it ever thus during our history in all walks of life .It’s been interesting looking at vast world of tango and tango inspired glass, it must have been a big seller for everyone and his dog to do their own take on it, with the blue being not so popular maybe ?as I haven’t come across it as much ?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2022, 08:51:15 AM »
https://rover.rajce.idnes.cz/Tango_sklo/493183115

The explanation of the exhibition

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2022, 09:27:30 AM »
Can you get similar Opel colours in different lights  with your plates or are they more solid in colour ?
I had a look at them late last night but wanted to check them again with daylight, this time I am somewhat embarrassed to say the trailed rims are amethyst - hence the purple tint... The pale blue is opalescent as well, another surprise. They are made with a thin layer of nigh on opaque pale blue glass cased in a much thicker layer of clear. There were these bowls in the exact same colour combination as well but they are long gone now.

My plates and bowls seem to be tableware rather than art glass - does the distinction applies here? Presumably the intention was that they would be used as such.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2022, 09:37:06 AM »
Ah - re John's plates and bowl not OPs then... this Loetz bowl had an amethyst trailed rim as well  as I mentioned earlier in the thread.  The same bowl in a different colourway is definitely shown in the Tango Sklo exhibition as Loetz.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=36855.0;attach=58998;image

It can pay to talk and discuss and come back to things  ;) .. well maybe.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2022, 02:40:46 PM »
I would say my bowl was  very much made as an everyday use type item with the styling of the day John,thanks for having a look .Thanks for all your replies ,I haven’t really looked into this glass before and will keep researching .

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2022, 03:15:39 PM »
I had a look at them late last night but wanted to check them again with daylight, this time I am somewhat embarrassed to say the trailed rims are amethyst - hence the purple tint... The pale blue is opalescent as well, another surprise. They are made with a thin layer of nigh on opaque pale blue glass cased in a much thicker layer of clear. There were these bowls in the exact same colour combination as well but they are long gone now.

My plates and bowls seem to be tableware rather than art glass - does the distinction applies here? Presumably the intention was that they would be used as such.
]

Your bowls were Loetz Ausführung 218 I believe
http://www.kralik-glass.com/frametemplate.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand