No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Do you recognize this glass mark?  (Read 1549 times)

Offline neil53

• Members
Do you recognize this glass mark?
« on: April 22, 2022, 03:39:29 PM »
Hi, I bought these beakers which bear marks to the bases that I don't recognise.  Best wishes, Neil

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Do you recognize this glass mark?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2022, 04:55:13 PM »
Hi Neil

I do recall seeing the marks before and also the glasses - at least the top one and the decoration on the bottom one looks North Bohemian to me.  I'll need to go through my books a bit later on and see what I can find.

I think they are Bohemian or Austrian and 19th century but unsure whether first half or second half (the first one is very similar to regency era glasses I have definitely seen, but whether it's just in good condition or a later model I'll need to see if I can match).  The marks on the bottom might indicate later maybe  but  I really don't know.  I will need to do some reading later to check that feeling out :)

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2022, 05:13:49 PM »
Knew I'd seen it before:  :)
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,52831.msg299943.html#msg299943

I would stick with my instinct that they are Bohemian, or La Granja as I mentioned in the linked thread, and my thoughts were Lobmeyr when I saw your top one.
The bottom one I think is Bohemian enamelling decoration (maybe North - will need to look that up).

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2022, 10:00:27 AM »
This is a version of that decoration (top image of yours) from La Granja c.1790
http://ceres.mcu.es/pages/Main

You should be able to click on the image underneath where it says Ampliar Imagen and it will enlarge and then you can enlarge it further to see the detail.

m

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 08:00:20 PM »
Just wondering...the gold band around the rim looks very bright, uniform and shiny. It looks a bit like the type that I think are electroplated rather than something brushed on? Is it worn away at all? Perhaps it’s just in very good condition but if it’s electroplated it would be much later wouldn’t it?

The bands with the roses on the other two are hand painted enamel are they? Definitely not some sort of transfer?
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 08:06:36 PM »
Thank you so much for looking for the attribution.  I have a book on La Granja glass and will look in there when I return from my daughter's wedding in Italy.  I had thought Bohemian and perhaps Moser, so La Granja would surprise me, the white beakers being quite thickly blown.  Since I bought the white beakers I have seen a couple for sale on eBay and in an auction so doubt that they are Russian Imperial glasses; probably something later and less rare.  Something for me to think on while I am away.  Once more my thanks for your help to date. Neil

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 08:17:14 PM »
I honestly think Ivo was right and the top mark on the white glass reads Lobmeyr with the W for Wien.

I have seen the mark on the bottom ones before but I can't remember where.

I've been through the entire Spanish museum website and could not see anything that matched the top one.  Similarities in style of enamelling but that will be period related and fashion related but nothing to match.  Also yours has a cut top rim and I don't think that would fit with La Granja beakers (could be wrong but all those I looked at seemed to have a fire polished rim), and the glass on yours doesn't look like La Granja opaline as far as I could see.

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 08:07:31 AM »
Hi, I bumped into Andy McConnell online and shared the images.  He thinks that the logo is to imprecise to be Lobmeyr but does think that they are from the first half of the 19th century.  He suggested that they might be hausmaler i.e. blanks decorated by somebody as a home industry, but I still have a feeling that they are a production run by somebody.

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2022, 10:15:23 AM »
Hi, I have been told that this mark may be MVM Cappellin.  Anybody have any comments on that attribution?  Certainly it would fit with what looks like "MM cap" on the bottom of the glasses.  I am pretty sure that the glassmarks on the bottom of both types of tumbler are by the same maker.  I didn't think that they looked Murano however.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2022, 08:05:53 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum