No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bead Bracelet ?  (Read 627 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Bead Bracelet ?
« on: July 05, 2022, 03:30:33 PM »
I know nothing about beads sadly , these ones cover a lot of different glass finnishes , some are cut and one with amber flash?Any thoughts on origin and dates ,could be yesterday ??vintage ??thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: Bead Bracelet ?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 05:09:08 PM »
Starting to think older and Murano ?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 05:27:14 PM »
I very strongly suspect rather new and from India.
Beads are notoriously difficult to specify origins for, they are often piecemeal, home made lampwork things.
I have been told you can tell old Bohemian from old Italian by the colour of the core. Bohemian beads tend to have a white chalky one, a residue left from the stuff they put on wires to allow the bead to be released, while Italian ones tend to be black - copper oxide from the wires the beads are formed on.
From my own collection, I can say that my old beads do have these two different cores.
But in the years since I did collect beads, many contemporary manufacturers have started making beads that look old. Even ones with foil and those aventurine trails with little roses on.
I would also suggest that the plethora of new stuff has affected the market for the old, especially given how those could never be truly properly identified.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 05:57:38 PM »
Thanks Sue ,that’s great information and logged, cheers .

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 06:35:38 PM »
When I said; "I have been told"- it was by two of the Antiques Roadshow appraisers. I think it was Judith Miller and Andy McConnell. It was some years ago.
The really old foil beads I liked were getting harder and harder to find and I was always outbid by somebody in America.
What it comes down to, is beads have only really have decorative value.
But some of them are very decorative indeed. I have Indian ones. I like a bit of costume jewellery bling. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 07:42:39 PM »
I guess those two have seen a few glass beads in their time Sue !.I have to say aswell I’m a big fan of Indian craftsmen ,I think their hand to eye is second to none and all with limited resources .

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 07:54:47 PM »
They certainly seemed to understand my attraction to them and I suspect they were about as disappointed as I was that so little CAN be found out.
Piecework and lampwork. A gig economy.
And as Andy pointed out, the glassmaking areas of north Italy are not really that far away from the Bohemian areas producing them either.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand