No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help ID the maker of this enameled Aesthetic Movement crackle vase  (Read 1258 times)

Offline jmoore44

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
Hi,
I need help with identification of unusual art glass vase with Aesthetic Movement enamel decoration on crackle opalescent. Any ideas? Thanks for your help. -Jody

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Help ID the maker of this enameled Aesthetic Movement crackle vase
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 05:25:20 PM »
Hello and welcome.  :)
This is certainly going to get some others here very excited. I'm getting out the popcorn and waiting to hear what they will say.
This is older than my area, but a beautiful piece.
I think the glass the enamelling is on might be called girasol.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 05:23:40 PM »
Girasol if it is of Italian origin I think Sue, this vase looks to have a purple tint especially the handles which is different.

How tall is the vase Jody? A photo of the base would be good too please. Would tend to agree it has the look of one of the Bohemian makers.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 05:29:31 PM »
 :) That's my thing learned for today, so I can switch off now. Thanks, John. ;D
I did notice the purple tint, but was totally unsure if it was supposed to be there or if it might even be sun purpled. It's not just on the handles - I can see a tinge of it on top of a "roll" on the neck.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline jmoore44

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 04:20:13 PM »
Hi!
Thank you for your help. The handles are translucent purple while the body is a more milky opalescent color. It measures 6 inches tall and 6.5 inches across the handles. Here's a few more pics showing the top rim, the bottom and a close up of the handle.

- Jody

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 10:26:29 PM »
Maybe Fritz Heckert would be my first thought?  I'm not sure on the enamelling though.  The design of the enamelling cartouches  looks quite French Aesthetic to me but the execution maybe Bohemian especially with the flowers etc.

This site has a pair of opalescent vases they say are signed and by Fritz Heckert
https://scottishantiques.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=26027

However that said ... I'm never sure which items were made after Fritz Heckert started producing their own pieces or which were enamelled by them but made for them by perhaps Josephinenhutte?/Harrach?/ Loetz?

The crackle opalescent and purple handles and something about the shape might make me think Harrach for production.   I think they used the purple (not sure on this though) on some of their 'Auguste Jean' type pieces? c. 1880 ish?  I don't recall seeing anything in their book though.  I'll try and have a look later.

Gorgeous piece.  Envious :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2022, 12:43:25 PM »
 ;D I've been waiting for you to turn up to see your thoughts and comments, Flying-free.

Do you think there is any purple on the body? I can see some where there is a bulge on the surface then look along the top of the bulge where you are looking through a "deep" part of the very surface, because of the bulge.
The ring of thicker glass around the base is also quite purple.

(I know what I mean!)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2022, 09:38:54 PM »
Page 250 of the Harrach book shows a vase c.1885 that has a similar style of enamelled panels. It says this type of decorated panel ‘reflect a growing interest in Japanese art’.

There’s a similar sort of thing and a bit about ‘Japonisme’ here:

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/31539-enameled-french-vase-in-the-japonisme-st
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2022, 10:09:07 PM »
Hi Sue  ;D
I think the apparent colour showing on the OP's crackle vase is just down to the opalescence to be honest.  However the handles are amethyst aren't they?

The Collectors Weekly piece is interesting.
Personally I probably wouldn't buy a piece purporting to be by Galle, Leveille, or Auguste Jean  unless it was correctly signed.  However that's just my personal red line specifically on those makers' pieces.  Every single time I've looked at a piece unsigned but apparently deemed to be by Leveille or Auguste Jean, there is something about the piece that makes me feel it  isn't by those makers. That said, my knowledge is very limited.
 I'm sure there must be lots of glass as yet unknown and perhaps there really was unsigned pieces sent out from those houses but I know I don't have the knowledge to make that judgement though so I wouldn't risk my money.   
Example of a very expensive unsigned piece here from Christies -
https://www.christies.com/en/lot/lot-a-french-japonisme-gilt-and-silvered-bronze-mounted-6203754/

On the CW piece, the cartouche is in a similar style to the OP's here isn't it? Both in terms of design and execution and quality.   I wonder if it has a polished pontil mark ?
The original vase in this thread does not have a polished pontil mark does it?

I only have a few books on French glass but will have a look through next week.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2022, 11:53:47 AM »
In the Harrach book (page 241) it says they used publications such as L’ornement Polychrome by Racinet for the motifs ‘most frequently reproduced, in an almost unchanged form’. So possibly when the style was popular there were many manufacturers copying from the same document. It would be interesting to find the original design they copied but might not help with an attribution...

I’m sure with Galle, Leveille, or Auguste Jean I would hit my red line of price long before having to worry about authenticity ;D
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand