No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual Primrose Pearline style Victorian Vaseline paperweight piano insulator  (Read 706 times)

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
I Would be grateful for any help identifying this 800 gram 10x5 cm lump of glass, described as an “end of day” paperweight but I think it resembles a Piano insulator of sorts although all my insulators are moulded this does not appear to be moulded. It has a shallow cup with wear hence why I think it could be an unusual insulator.  It reminds me of Davidson's and Greener primrose Pearline colours with white opalescent edge? I welcome your opinions cheers Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Interesting. I don't think it's a piano insulator, as it doesn't have anyway to spread the weight. The weight would be on the individual ribs

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
I know what you mean but there is wear on all the feet which covers a wide area. Most insulators roughly resemble a volcano shape with a wider load bearing base rim than the top cup that the castor sits in. but not all.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Very unusual, at first I thought paperweight but now think more likely insulator. Davidson Pearline is well documented so I don't think it's by them but it could be Greener or possibly even American. One sold on Ebay recently with no attribution.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
I'm not sure wear is indicative of it being an insulator. I have master salts of a similar size with very worn feet, though this is probably too shallow for a salt

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Left and right are a couple more insulators which are unusual as their base rim is not wider than the top rim. Left hand one is Sowerby 1885.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
But they do have weight-spreading base rims rather than feet

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Here are two designs with no flat rim but bobbly feet instead. Left is Rd 119975 and right likely to be Rd 273178. Although they are press moulded.

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Here is a link to some similar pieces with the same base 8 feet or whatever you may call them? Look similarly chunky like my yellow one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265705957210?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=TWSDuRSoTBS&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=h76BUnvMS6e&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Thanks Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand