No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ravenhead glass  (Read 8873 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Ravenhead glass
« on: January 28, 2007, 11:03:22 AM »
I thought not, but then I saw this site with £65's worth of Ravenhead glasses marked as sold!  :o

Fragile Design

Isn't this just carboot & charity shop fodder, or am I missing something? I hope I am, because I've 4 different sets of Ravenhead still in their original boxes lurking somewhere...  ;D

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: Ravenhead glass [discussion from Cafe]
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 11:08:52 AM »
ooh Nic you snob!  Ravenhead glasses look pretty upmarket and desirable compared to some of the tat that regularly sells on eBay - admittedly it's not Holmegaard but it does have a place and, believe it or not, a collector's market.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 11:16:46 AM »
Don't get me wrong - I like some Ravenhead, which is why I have a few boxed sets tucked away. I think their Apollo range is incredibly under-rated!  :)

I was just questioning the disparity between the sale price and the fact that these glasses are to be found for about £2.50 in 9/10 UK charity shops.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 11:22:22 AM »
People used to ask that about Baxter's glass, some still do.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 11:27:23 AM »
.. and Chance. Oh, hang on, they still do! ;D
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 11:34:02 AM »
 ;D :o
I'm surprised about the ones on the site you show - that's a really common pattern, you can't get out of charity shops for tripping over it. fiesta/siesta?

I agree about Anette Meech's Apollo - it's wonderful. I got my first set from Boots, way back in the late '70's. It cost £3.45.  ;D
I'm currently trying to get together a full set of big ones, but they are not easy to come by. The wee ones are easier, often in their boxes. I have been on the lookout for them for years
I also like the Nevada mould blown glasses, and I use them all the time.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 11:41:16 AM »
The £30 set is Siesta (23cl), but the £35 set is from another range, I think, as it doesn't appear on the list of sizes on the Siesta box I have. Unless it was an earlier/later addition/excision to the range.

Offline Heidimin

• Researcher
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 12:31:58 PM »
Personally, I can't stand Siesta - maybe something to do with my parents having a set way after they stopped being fashionable! And £30-35 is way out of line with what they sell for on e-bay (if they sell at all).

But you all know about my passion for the screen-printed tumblers (even if they're not worth much - yet?  ;)), and other ranges such as Five Star (1968) and Vista (c1970) won Design Council awards in their time...

I think the £35 set may have been a later addition to the range, Nic. According to Lesley Jackson's C20th Factory Glass, Siesta was designed by Alexander Hardie Williamson in 1973 (the year before he retired) and added to by John Clappison in the later 1970s.
Heidi

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 12:43:02 PM »
I don't much like Siesta either, but I bought a few boxed sets for £1 on the off-chance that they do, one day, become collectable.  ;D

Thanks for the production info, though - it will be very useful when it comes around to selling them, or rather attempting to sell them!

Does the book mention the production years for the Apollo range, by any chance?

Connie

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 12:44:56 PM »
Just because there is a price on the website and it is marked sold, doesn't mean they sold at that price  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand