No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ravenhead Glass - advertising tumblers  (Read 7543 times)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Ravenhead Glass - advertising tumblers
« on: January 31, 2007, 05:42:48 PM »
I am a newbie in this forum, so please forgive me if I say anything stupid! I know next to nothing about transfer printed tumblers.

Anyhow, my question is this: are "advertising" tumblers (well known company advertising slogan from the 1960s ish..."Cool Fresh Milk") with a Ravenhead trademark moulded onto the base worth hanging onto? Or shall I take them to the recycling place? (Only joking re. recycling - they actually have sentimental value to me so I am not ditching them).

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Ravenhead Glass - advertising tumblers
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 05:48:44 PM »
Best wait for Heidi or Max, as they have far more knowledge than me, but I will say that tumblers with advertising slogans are probably quite commonplace.

You may need a Max-style shed... ;D
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 05:58:03 PM »
Thanks for your response, David.

Oh you have no idea how much glass is already stored in my house....... these tumblers are just a few that my father gave me way back. I was clearing a cupboard today and came across them. I don't collect Ravenhead tumblers of course. Oh but wait....there's that boxed set of "The Election Collection" plus the second (unboxed) set.  ::) They fit into our Political Collection! (So many collections, so little space....)

Actually the thing I like most about the Milk advertising tumblers is the magnificent moulded trademark on the base.

(Don't mention the Carnival tumbler collection, which includes a whole display case full of enamelled tumblers too!)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 06:06:31 PM »
I only dabble in the Ravenhead stuff (typical of me!), Heidi's the one to ask really.   :)

Actually, I haven't seen a Ravenhead moulded trademark before, any chance of a pic Glen?  And what does the 'Election Collection' look like?  Sounds interesting!

I am not a man

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 06:12:41 PM »
I'm not the photographer around here - Steve's camera is waaaaay too tricksy for me  :-[. I'll ask him to do a shot of both the moulded trademark and "The Election Collection" at the weekend  :).

"The Election Collection" is a set of 6 tumblers with political cartoons (very satirical) on them. There's a Thatcher one, Enoch Powell and various others that I can't remember at the moment. They are wonderful.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 07:13:01 PM »
Advertising and milk topics are quite sought after but not usually limited by material. Specific dairies are the hottest.

Offline Heidimin

• Researcher
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 08:32:32 PM »
Hi, Glen.

I can't claim any great expertise here (my main interest is in the screen-printed tumblers designed by AHW), but I have seen a fair smattering of Ravenhead advertising tumblers and pint glasses on e-bay. Mainly breweries and sporting events/ football teams. There are a couple of sets of "Gotta Lotta Bottle" tumblers on at the moment - not having a garden shed, I generally pass on advertising ware, but in this case I'm actually quite tempted as I've always been tickled by the "Gotta Lotta Glottal [stops]" slogan.

I've seen the Ravenhead mark on the base of pint mugs and advertising ware, but not on other tableware designs.

I think Frank's right that the value probably depends on interest in them as advertising history. I've noticed that milk bottles with screen-printed ads on them made by United Glass Bottle/ United Glass (Ravenhead's parent company) seem to get a lot of interest - whether that's from bottle freaks or milk fiends I'm not sure! Incidentally, United Glass are still going strong as part of the US Owens-Illinois group and still have a facility in Alloa in Scotland which will screen-print your bottles for you.

I'd love to see pics of both the milk and the political sets. Would you be prepared to contribute them (suitably credited, of course) to the Sherdley /Ravenhead site currently in gestation? It'd be nice to include a few examples of this side of Ravenhead's output.

Also - I'm intrigued by your reference to enamel-decorated carnival glass - I can't quite visualise it. Are there any pics on your site? I had a quick look, but couldn't see any - possibly because I got a bit distracted by the wonderful cartoon section...  :)
Heidi

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 08:41:23 PM »
Max, Frank and Heidi - many thanks for your responses.

Heidi - I remember the Gotta Lotta Bottle slogan very well. Also the "Humphrey" slogan (watch out, watch out...."). Thank you too, for all your other information. When Steve's done the pics you can see if they're good enough for your purposes - and yes, of course we'd be delighted for them to go on the Sherdley/Ravenhead site.

I do have a couple of pics on my website that show some of the enamelled Carnival tumblers. Those photos were taken a long time ago (better camera since then  :)) - but they'll give you a flavour of what they look like. We have many different patterns and a variety of Carnival colours.
http://www.geocities.com/carni_glass_uk_2000/Enameled.html

Thank you all again.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 08:34:21 PM »
Just to let you know that I haven't forgotten about the photos - I hope to be able to post them tomorrow.

Offline Heidimin

• Researcher
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 09:26:34 PM »
Thanks, Glen, and belated ( :-[) thanks too for the link to the enamelled carnival glass - really interesting.
Heidi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand