No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian Glass Vase Raspberry Pontil S&W Rockingham / Thomas Webb OR Walsh  (Read 593 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Just adding the below link, which briefly mentions 'The Burst Foil' glass technique produced by Edward Webb and Joseph Webb, who both apparently produced their own versions in 1883.....(just under half way down the page, titled 'Burst Foil)

http://theantiquarian.us/Glass%20Types.htm

It goes on to comment: ''There are many different types of embedded foil work, of which Burst Foil is the most common and there are famous examples of it by Edward Webb’s 1883, “Oroide and Agrentine (SIC)”.  He advertised the use of gold or silver foil between two layers of glass, respectively.  Arthur John Nash was responsible for both designs.''

On a related note:
There a piece shown in the below link described as by 'D'Humy' (which was mentioned earlier), the poster mentions that 'An exact example of this vase is in the collection of the Bristol Blue Glass Museum' and shown online. However, the website sadly seems to no longer be active.

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/125095-dhumy-aurora-glass-co-fish-vase-c-188

And also a couple of other examples shown here:

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/79547-aurora-glass-co-c-1890

I presume the first two examples shown are probably Webb? and the other example sold by Bonhams is indeed by D'Humy.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
1) I would not make any id's without primary reference sources, on any of those foil pieces.

2) I know Thomas Webb & Sons made pieces with applied animals as they have been seen in the pattern books iirc (source Antique Stourbridge Glass) and also there is the marked piece in Gulliver which was reference earlier in this thread.

3) When the blackcountryhistory.org online site shows a bowl saying 'Webb's Argentine possibly' for maker, then I assume they don't mean Thomas Webb (in the dim and distant past I had this query in my mind, but had forgotten about it until you made the link to the Antiquarian site Greg),  since it appears that Edward Webb or Joseph Webb made a range called 'Argentine' and Edward Webb was a different maker to Thomas Webb and Sons.

So it is possible that both Thomas Webb and Sons and Edward Webb made foil encased glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Look for glass on
ebay.co.uk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Look for glass on
ebay.com (us)
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand