No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Serious cleaning problem  (Read 2141 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Serious cleaning problem
« on: September 03, 2007, 11:34:47 AM »
I know we've discussed glass cleaning before (on many occasions ::)) but I'm finding this a really difficult one!  I think the residue in this eperne-style flower is metal (by the appearance, and the metallic smell of such bits as I've managed to dislodge) which appears to have rusted and 'welded' itself firmly to the glass! 

I had it filled with Bath Power overnight, and this morning I managed to break through the blockage with a piece of wire - I'm not worried about scratching, with this amount of crud in the bottom!  But I just can't seem to shift any more.

Any tips or hints?  Any advice much appreciated.

Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Serious cleaning problem
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 02:46:44 PM »
Leni, given that coca cola is known to dissolve metal, it might be worth trying some on this. Fill the epergne with it and leave it to stand for a day or so and see what happens to it. I doubt it will affect the glass but I know it is evil with metal.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 03:58:32 PM »
Thanks, Anne.  At the moment I have a whole dishwasher tablet dissolved in it!  :o  I'll leave it to stand overnight and if that doesn't shift it I'll try the coke  ::)  ;)
Leni

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 07:59:18 AM »
OK.  The dishwasher tablet shifted a whole lot of crud, now I'm left with the rusted metal!  You can now see a twist of wire which has floated loose.  Stage two - drain cleaner!  At the moment it's sitting on the draining board with Kilrock in it.  If this doesn't work it's time for the coca cola!  >:D
Leni

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 08:52:39 AM »
I believe the active ingredient in the cola is phosphoric acid, which is a commercial food acidifier.

You can often buy it in powdered form at catering supply shops. I use it for rust removal - a couple of tablespoons per gallon.

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 06:56:32 PM »
and if that doesn't work, then a concentrated solution of oxalic acid will definitely shift any remaining rust - but read the label as it's a bit toxic if fumes are inhaled (I've used it to remove rust stain from stones and the like)

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 08:07:01 PM »
Thanks, guys  :)  At the moment I'm on the third change of drain cleaner, which says it contains Formic Acid.  It's doing the job, but slowly.  I'll resort to the stronger stuff if it doesn't shift the rest in the next day or so. 

It begins to look as if a piece of wire was twisted around the stem of a flower to stiffen or shape it before it was pushed into the epergne.  Then when the flower was dead it was pulled out, but the wire stayed stuck! 

I WILL beat this!   >:D 

Leni  xx
Leni

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 09:20:26 PM »
Can one still buy oxalic acid.?.......I used to use it a lot in furniture restoration....great for getting ink stains and ring marks out of bare wood before repolishing.  I used to get it from the Chemist, but have been told now they can't supply it any more.  Emmi

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 05:44:42 AM »
I've used these guys - 330126793816
I keep on forgetting that Ebay sells more than glass !

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 01:18:56 PM »
Thanks for that info....what a fab shop for cleaning products etc..it's got everything you didn't know you needed !!  Which now means my house will be spotless, but only if they also supply someone to do the work.  Emmi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand