No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Decanters/bowl's and vase's  (Read 2998 times)

Offline Gilead

• Members
Decanters/bowl's and vase's
« on: February 09, 2008, 12:03:14 AM »
Hi All
        members i am new to this site and glass collecting in general, i have posted on here before a day ago, or under orange fruit or cake stand,
i have been on the hunt for more glass today and would appreciate the members opinion on  what i have came back with, most of the glass i am collecting is because i like the look of the glass, also i would like to find out about who and where they  where made and what year, so i hope you will shed some light on these for me, many thank,s (photo's to follow)

I hope to that i am not braking any rules in asking this way,  :-[
                                                                                      Regards
                                                                                       Gilead

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Gilead

• Members
Re: Decanters/bowl's and vase's
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 12:49:11 AM »
Hi All
       The first piece of Glass is a clear Bowl it stands 6ins (150mm) high 5.5ins (140cms0 across and weighs in at 673grams.

The second piece is a vase standing again 6ins high (150mm) 4ins (100mm) across its gold/pink with a blue tint, hard to say really but as you see its got a pineapple bottom, weighs in at 651grams.

The 3rd piece is a Decanter standing 15.5ins high (390mm) with the cork in with out 11ins (280mm) center circumference is 14ins (360mm) and weighs in at 1619grams.

The forth piece is also a Decanter this one standing 13.5 high (340mm) cork in with out 10ins(260mm) center circumference 14.5ins (370mm) weighs 1691.

i also have a larger bowl which i will post after this,
                                                                    regards
                                                                              Gilead

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 12:58:16 AM »
Hi again
           This is the larger Bowl i mentioned before it stands 4ins high (100mm) and 10ins (255mm) across with 3small feet, on the bottom, as you can see from photo, weighs in at 1072grams hope all this helps to find who made and where with these item,s many thanks
                                                                                                                                                                    Gilead

Offline glassaddict

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 08:55:46 AM »
Is the second one the same as the one discussed here?
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,9115.msg77143.html#msg77143

Hil  :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 08:59:13 AM »
Hi you're are very welcome to post whatever you like (in glass) but you are much starting a new thread for each, particularly when they are so different. I can help you with one of them - your pineapple vase is an English Carnival (note the iridescence) by Canning Town Glass. See here for a thread http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,9115.0.html

Snap!

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 10:05:18 AM »
Hello,

Your large bowl appears to be Davidson's 535 pattern, apparently late 1960s. See Chris & Val Stewarts site here: http://cloudglass.com/other.htm

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 05:12:54 PM »
Hi Christine
               Thanks for the quick response so now i know it to be carnival Glass vase i tried to see apiture in the link you gave but it did not allow me, when out hunting yesterday, i also bought myself a Millers ANTIQUES price guide book but an dissapointed as it does not really account for this type of glass so think i need to get a more spercific book on glass? i have so much got the bug with this now i cant wait to go out and find more, thanks again, do you know much about the decanter and the bowl on the pedestal,
                                                                                                                                              Regards
                                                                                                                                               Gilead

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 05:19:50 PM »
Hi Mosquito
                Thank you for taking time to identfy the large bowl as a davidson late 60s i took a look at your link and it,s a you say the same, i wonder how many were made and is ther a site i can log on to for davidsons Glass or any interesting sites, at all please, i have only got to make some nice shelves to display my finds now, so that is my task for the next few wk,s as well, i must say this is a very friendly and informative site glad i found you all,
                                                Gilead

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 06:25:29 PM »
Sorry Paul's picture has gone. Here is another good carnival glass site http://www.ddoty.com/ You will find the Smoke version of your vase pictured here if you look around or do a search

Here is the start of the Davidson part of the cloud glass website http://cloudglass.com/History.htm

I know nothing about decanters. Is your pedestal bowl cut glass or pressed glass? It looks like it might be cut. Pamela's website is excellent for pressed glass http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/index2.html

Offline Gilead

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 09:54:07 PM »
Hi Christine
               have been looking though some books and on the internet but cant seem to find out about decanter any ideas please, the bowl seems cut glass, could be lead crystal?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand