No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Odd Uranium fish any ideas on ID maybe czech????  (Read 1285 times)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
Odd Uranium fish any ideas on ID maybe czech????
« on: June 27, 2009, 11:18:05 PM »
Hi there
my partner jon collects glass fish, he bought this one off of ebay about 3 or 4 years back. The advert was terrible and so was the picture but after getting for just a couple of quid we where pleasantly surprised when it arrived as it glows like mad even without the UV/blacklight on.
It is a very odd little thing with a cylinder of blue in the centre cased in bright green (light lime) Uranium with applied white eyes and black pupils (very dark purple infact). The base is smooth and well polished, the tail end is also smooth and well polished. the nose end goes in on itself just slightly (1-2mm). Very well made quality piece.
14cms in length, body about 4cms in diameter, fairly weighty for size. solid glass
Does anybody have any ideas on maker age or even country.
many thanks
michelle (and jon on this one)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Odd Uranium fish any ideas on ID maybe czech????
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 02:34:57 AM »
The style is like Antonio Da Ros for Cenedese (Murano). Cenedese did a lot of work with uranium glass, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is Da Ros from the 1950-60s. (A Daros relative signed onto the board one time to say the name was really Daros, instead of Da Ros. But it is hard to shake old habits.) Great find!
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 03:51:24 PM »
Hi there
Anita, im really sorry for not getting back to you on this one, for some reason i didnt get a reply message and hadnt seen your reply until 10 minutes ago.
Ive now just replied on another thread regarding Daros and his work. I bought Leslie Pina's book this morning on Italian glass and there is a couple of fish on page 212 that are very very similar to our one, i sending an email to Mr Daros also, but it looks like you where right.
Thanks so much and sorry again that i missed your reply all that time ago
here is a couple of better pictures
http://i67.servimg.com/u/f67/14/37/17/66/100_4812.jpg

http://i67.servimg.com/u/f67/14/37/17/66/100_4813.jpg

http://i67.servimg.com/u/f67/14/37/17/66/100_4814.jpg

all the best
michelle

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 05:05:59 PM »
Hello Michelle,has Jon ever seen one of these(not Blenko)if so where's it from? been looking for ages.
                                                                                                                     Keith.

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 05:30:25 PM »
Hi there
Jon said he has seen them before at fairs and boot sales, but never known what or who they are sorry, couldnt be of more help. I will keep and eye out though and if i see anything will let you know
michelle

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 07:04:37 PM »
Ta,ever so,
     Keith.

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 09:27:18 PM »
Hi all
Jon was just looking at some fish on ebay and found this advert. There is definate similarities to his fish.
I wondered if the label could tell us anything (apart from what the seller has already added)
I am going to email the seller and ask if he could send me some pictures and if i could use them here
many thanks
michelle

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MURANO-Fish-Figural-Paperweight-R-Italy-1960s-/320753390353?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aae645311

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 10:29:28 PM »
Ebeling and Reuss a U.S company who imported glass by some renowned makers from Italy hard to see in the photo but  the label should read Golden Crown 1886 Italy.
Actually came across the company whilst researching some Swarovski figures I acquired..

http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/usa/philadelphia_1/00.php  scroll down and some West German and Austrian versions of the label deffo the same company.

Chris :sun:

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 07:56:53 AM »
thanks for that Chris, if you scroll down on the advert there is a better picture of the label and your correct it does indeed have Golden Crown at the top.
Thanks for the link at least that way if i dont get permission to use the pictures we get to keep the information and a picture of the label once the advert disappears
many thanks
michelle

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand