No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian Pressed Flint Glass Compote.  (Read 10529 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re: Victorian Pressed Flint Glass Compote.
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 04:34:12 AM »
I have a couple of early sugar and creams from that period, I will put some pictures on later , I always assumed my peces would have been English

Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 10:16:24 AM »
Hi

I have bought and seen a number of EAPG Sandwich salts over the last few years so would assume that it was exported to the UK, I recently bought from a car boot a American lacy plate.

A couple of pictures of what is surely early English pressed glass a sugar bowl and milk jug

Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline traditionaljazz

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 02:29:18 PM »
Hi

I have bought and seen a number of EAPG Sandwich salts over the last few years so would assume that it was exported to the UK, I recently bought from a car boot a American lacy plate.

A couple of pictures of what is surely early English pressed glass a sugar bowl and milk jug

Roy
Dear Roy, Thank you for your reply and photographs. The smaller compote or sugar bowl mentioned in my first posting. It is of similar form to the one in your photograph. Except it has a hollow domed foot and a semi hollow stem. Which can be seen on EAPG glass of about the same period. Also it has a bucket form bowl as in the photograph. Except it has a castlated top with the bulls eye pattern running along the top. This bullseye pattern also runs along the bottom of the domed stand. The rest of the pattern which is on the bowl and stand is of slightly elongated diamonds. There is evidence of English and Irish glass being imported to America from 17th centuary to 19th centuary. It seems that that the Americans possible began importing EAPG glass into England around the time of the 1837 coronation. Maybe because of the glass tax than in operation in England at the time. The Americans continued to import glass into England for some years. The sad part of this is what EAPG and what is early English pressed glass. Information on early English pressed glass from the period c1845-1860 is sadly not available as it seems that the various companys that where manufacturing  glass at this time did not issue any catalogues. It whould also seem that if the Americans put out EAPG in a certain pattern. Than the early English pressed glass companys whould copy the design and it is possible that the Americans where doing the same. All that is known of the early English pressed glass of the period c1845-1860 is that it was of a pillar moulded or seems to be similar to cut glass of the period Regards Traditional Jazz.

Offline traditionaljazz

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »
Dear Everyone at The Glass Message Board, Thank you for viewing my posting. I have been searching the web for a possable identification of these two compotes. So far i have drawn a complete blank. I have searched through all the Early American Pressed Glass sites for this particular pattern of which i have drawn a complete blank. Here is another description of these compotes. The disign is as follows the large compote has a round bowl which has a castlelated top which has a bulls eye pattern which runs along the top. The rest of the pattern is of a band of Beveled diamonds that goes from small at the bottom to large beveled diamonds towards the top. Also the base has the same pattern upside down with the bulls eyes running along the bottom. There is one chareristic feature about these compotes is that the foot is domed and also the stems are simi hollow as in american pressed glass compotes. I will post photos of these two compotes at some point in the not too far distant future. Regards Traditional Jazz.

Offline traditionaljazz

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 03:12:30 PM »
Dear Everyone at The Glass Message Board. I have sent a scan of a photo that i took of the Victorian Pressed Flint Glass Compote that started this topic on 28th July 2009. I have not done a photo of the large version of this compote which is mentioned somewhere in this topic. So shortly there should be a photo of this Victorian Pressed Flint Glass Compote. After a few problems of trying to put the image in this topic. :hiclp: :chky:  Regards Traditional Jazz.

Moderator: images from TradJazz now added

Offline traditionaljazz

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 12:02:41 AM »
Oh no not another posting by Traditional Jazz ::), I have been browsing the webb as you do. Guest what there is a website which seems to be selling a large compote which states that this compote is cut glass. This compote is almost identical in pattern to these two compotes that i have. Instead the one on the website has a slightly different pattern bowl except that the stem and the foot is identical in pattern. This is getting quite curious? Regards Traditional Jazz. PS hopefully this is the link to this compote. http://www.theoxfordteaparty.com/item_1301/Beautiful-Victorian-Heavy-Cut-Glass-Comport.htm

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 10:13:33 AM »
Hi
I think the item in the link is cut glass, certainly the foot and faceted stem,
the pattern is more concise and sharp, your compote is pressed.
Sorry, i dont think they are very close.
Regards Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline traditionaljazz

• Members
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 03:00:56 PM »
Hi
I think the item in the link is cut glass, certainly the foot and faceted stem,
the pattern is more concise and sharp, your compote is pressed.
Sorry, i dont think they are very close.
Regards Andy

Dear Andy, Thank you for your reply and comment. If you look carefully at the base of this compote on the left hand side by the stem in The Oxford Tea Party. You will notice a line which seems to be a mold line which appears very strongly in the photo. These lines appear in the same place as the compotes that i have. Also the photo is not very clear as sometimes happens with images on websites. Another point is that i have a small compote which seems to have an identical bowl as this compote although the foot and stem are different somewhat like the one in the photo of the other compote posted by mhgcgolfclub. At some point i am going to post photos of the large compote that i have. Which has been mentioned here. Regards Traditional Jazz.

Offline traditionaljazz

• Members
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 05:08:33 PM »
Dear Everyone at The Glass Message Board, Very shortly there will be photos of the large compote that i have mentioned in this posting before. Regards Traditional Jazz.

Offline chloe

• Members
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 06:28:54 PM »
Hi all!  The comport above is mine, and thank your Trad Jazz for your contact.  I can now see that the glass is, in fact, pressed glass not cut - there are two mold lines on the stem.  I shall post photos and more info on it later.

(nice to "see" you all again!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand