No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this genuine Lalique  (Read 5800 times)

Offline scimiman

• Members
Re: Is this genuine Lalique
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2009, 12:17:02 PM »
I reported everyone of his listings for using ? and multiple brand names and not one of them has been pulled. ::)
Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline msiscoe

• Members
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2009, 01:15:39 PM »
Hello, it is definately not Rene' Lalique. The seller was referred to rlalique.com. They verified this for him. He chooses to continue the listing anyway. Buyer beware!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2009, 05:45:40 PM »
Notifying 'the company' involved will get any listing removed. Prada for example go through listings and get any they deem fake to be removed. This they say is to protect their company name which Im all for but how you go about informing Lalique that there are fakes for sale I have no idea.
Pete
Pete. :-)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2009, 12:04:46 PM »
Pete, Lalique would have to register with eBay under their VERO programme - that's what most of the big companies have done and is how they get their listings pulled.  Perhaps Lalique haven't registered yet - maybe emailing them and telling them about the (at least) two faked Lalique signatures might spur them into doing so.

Offline msiscoe

• Members
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2009, 12:08:16 PM »
Hello, you would think Cristal Lalique would be very interested in the sheer number of fakes offered on eBay and other sites as Lalique. I have forwarded several to them myself with no response. It appears they simply are not interested. Perhaps it doesn't cut into their sales enough to really bother them.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2009, 12:57:19 PM »
The problem with misattribution on eBay is so great that it is difficult to deal with. Many companies are probably not concerned because it is a secondary market, and as long as it does not affect the primary market, it is not something they wish to invest resources in policing. Many countries do not seem concerned about the misattributions. For example, probably more than half of the attributed Murano pieces offered on eBay are attributed with great optimism. This is done by lesser sellers, as well as a few sellers that know better. I feel the worst about the latter, because they are intentionally scamming their buyers.

Unfortunately, there is really not much we common folk can do about it other than write the seller to let them know what they are selling. I have done that on occasion and find that some sellers are happy to receive the information. Others just ignore. eBay treats it like a game of "he said, she said." The only times I've seen when they cancel auctions is when there is obvious keyword spamming. Strange thing about this -- on two occasions I have had Bohemian glass auctions canceled for keyword spamming, even though I was offering just what the title said. There must have been something in the way I wrote the listing... I don't know. Then eBay wouldn't let me relist using the keywords, even though the attributions were correct.  :huh:
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2009, 01:54:29 PM »
IMHO ebay could care less about incorrect attributions. they are concerned with listing fees, final value fees, and Paypal fees, and unless sued by a major corporation, they will do next to nothing about anything having to do with fakes and fraudulent merchandise. Properly policing the fiasco Donahoe has created would cost half of their dwindling profit dollars, and they are too busy spending that money to buy back stock in order to prop up the sagging price.

They have neither the knowledge of products being sold, the desire to police, or the manpower to be effective if they had either of the previous two mentioned things.

ebay does just enough of the ineffective and obvious, to be able to make a claim in court in defense of their actions (in-actions). Remember, they are just a venue and not responsible for the sellers actions or representations.

Since Donahoe has taken over, the quality of available inventory on ebay has decreased, the quantity of listings has increased (with most being fixed price because they are the cheapest way to list), and the instances of misrepresentation and scams has substantially increased.

Donahoe is convinced that turning ebay into a Walmart on line is the key to their success......  He forgot to realize that Amazon and Walmart have a head start, and are much better at it.

You can go to the Pulse list page and one of the five largest stores shown in the glass category is a seller that lists Murano glass, which is not Murano, sells most of it for around $9.99 with around $30 in shipping, and at any given time has around 1600 pieces on ebay....  Not a single piece of it is Italian glass.

There are still buys available on ebay if one searches in a determined and methodical manner.....  but the uneducated collector looking to start an enjoyable hobby is walking in a minefield of deceit and deception in the venue.

Ebay's roots were as an auction site....  Auctions are now a minimal portion of their business with ever increasing fees to drive the auction side away......  The pulse list pages, originally developed to show the most interesting and watched auctions in each category, are now filled with 95+% buy it now items, letting us know that they are slowly turning the venue into a market for "window shoppers" and watch files are filling up with inexpensive items people "wish" they could purchase but don't.

Ebay, as many of us that have been on for a long time knew it, is DEAD. May it RIP.
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline scimiman

• Members
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2009, 02:01:11 PM »
I think that sums the Ebay situation 101%
Mike

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2009, 02:30:25 PM »
No good grumbling about it though, it won't change anything. Vote with your feet and sell elsewhere. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2009, 02:37:47 PM »
I know it is no good to grumble...  just some observations about it... and I still sell there, because for what I offer, it is still the best venue.....  When that is no longer true, I will no longer be an ebay seller.  It is just too bad they took a great thing and made it incredibly mediocre....  at best.
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand