No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Wayne D Filan  (Read 7168 times)

Offline firestone

• Members
Wayne D Filan
« on: August 27, 2009, 11:22:47 AM »
Have picked up a piece signed Wayne D Filan.London 1970. Tried to research him and found very little. Know he was/is American and a contemporary of Dan Dailey and had work exhibited in Leeds in '71.Any other info. would be much appreciated.
Many thanks, Pat.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Wayne D Filan
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 12:21:17 PM »
I believe he may have been a student of Sam Herman perhaps Adam can ask him . A friend of mine had a piece of glass that screamed Sam Herman we took it over to Sams place he looked at it for ages then made several phone calls and said i taught him too well it is identical to mine . I do believe it was signed Wayne D Filan but my short term memory is very bad but that signature is somewhere in it .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 02:51:32 PM »
Yes i am sure that is correct i remeber Sam saying jokingly ,yes its so bxxxxy good he probably swiped one of mine and signed it ,  ~ i repeat he did say he was joking ~  . :thup:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 06:19:57 PM »
I don't think there is much information on him. I do know Sue Marshall (chopin liszt) has been trying to found out about him for years. (PS She might be very interested in buying if you're selling. Let me know)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 07:26:48 PM »
My friend has just confirmed that i got it right , she still has the vase it is identical to one of Sams and is signed Wayne D Filan so he was a student of Sams . Whoever Sam phoned that day seemed to know about Wayne .

Offline firestone

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 07:30:46 PM »
MANY THANKS FOR YOUR HELP EVERYONE. I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN SELLING BUT AS YET HAVE NOTHING TO BASE A PRICE ON.
REGARDS TO ALL ESPECIALLY JOHN.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 02:37:40 PM »
Off the top of my head, I know Wayne Filan visited london at this time. He was mostly based in the states, set up the hot glass facilities in Philadelphia College of Art in '68, with William Bernstein and Dan Dailey. (info from "American Studio Glass, p.59, column 2. by Martha Drexler Lynn).
I've a friend who was a student of Bill Bernstein's, so he contacted Bill to ask if he had any knowledge of what happened to Wayne after that, but sadly he doesn't, he was just able to confirm the visit to London. I haven't contacted Dan Dailey yet, to see if he has any idea.

Some "Platinum Lustre" pieces have appeared on ebay, of a later date than the vase I have (London, '71), they're quite different to my London one, which is MUCH more Sam Hermany.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 02:59:17 PM »
University of Leeds library glass exhibition Christmas 1971 Wayne Filan along with many other names you will all know , Googled it .

Offline firestone

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 06:26:58 PM »
On one of the American sites they mentioned his perfume bottles on sale at a gallery. Unfortunately I couldn't get any further into the site to see them.
My piece is blown,almost ovoid, 81/2inches high by 6inches biggest diameter, clear,with clear trails,  little grey flecks amongst some bubbles. A really lovely piece I wish I could see more of his work.
Regards to all,
Pat.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia