No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Any information would be appreciated - ID = Sowerby "Primrose" flower centre  (Read 1948 times)

Offline paddles

• Members
Hi, while going through a box of my grandmothers things the other day, we came across this. We would like to know what it is, where it is from etc. I would like to write this down for future information. All I know is that it came down to me from my grandmothers mother. (Possibly was bought over from England?) any information would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Re: Any information would be appreciated
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 04:43:59 AM »
It appears to me to be a flower frog.......
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline paddles

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 06:21:56 AM »
I sort of figured that one :-[ I was wondering what sort of glass? it is? is it depression glass? Carnival glass? etc. does anyone know when and where it would have been made? (Sorry I was unclear on what I was looking for) I have searched the net, and can't find anything remotely like it.
I know nothing about glass manufacture, collecting etc. (Not intending to start) but just would like to  ensure that future generations (My sons) know what it is, and where it came from, as well as the family history involved. (I also want to know if using it is ok? or weather it should be packed away somewhere safe)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 06:28:39 AM »
Can we see the underside of both parts please. My gut is telling me that this is no older than 1930s. It's not carnival glass and it's not depression glass. My guess would be European. Whatever, I don't think it is particularly valuable. It is made by press moulding.

Offline Tinker-Taylor

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 07:01:39 AM »
It is an unusual piece, as far as posey rings go, as they don't usually have a filled-in area under the frog (central part with holes).  1930's-1950's would be my thoughts also.  I would GUESS Bagley or Davidson.

As for value, I wouldn't say anything great, but then one of my own Bagley items currently for auction is really surprising me.  If you're looking to sell, then xmas's approach is always a good time.  Best of luck.  :)

Stu.
Stuart & Emma Taylor.
(ebay ID: tinker-taylor-glass)

Offline paddles

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 08:35:26 AM »
I don't want to sell it, I just want to know about it. It's monetary value is irrelevant. It is a family piece, it's value to us, is sentimental, not monetary. (I knew it wouldn't be worth a lot) it's more a case keeping track of family hierlooms. and knowing what they are.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 09:36:56 AM »
It's not Bagley. Base pictures would help with ID

Offline Tinker-Taylor

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 04:19:11 PM »
Didn't mean to offend by mentioning money. :)  Often it's nice to know values for individual/accumulative insurance.  I often "put my foot" in it though!   :)
Stuart & Emma Taylor.
(ebay ID: tinker-taylor-glass)

Offline paddles

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 08:03:08 PM »
I'm not offended, I should imagine many people try to get values on things, but as we all  know, in the collectables market, the value of something can vary enormously with time (Things come into fashion, or go out of fashion) After grilling my mother yesterday, She thinks that it was given to nana as a wedding present (1939) (See what happens when things don't get written down?)

I was just given this box of stuff from nana, and told, some of it is worth keeping! (My mother is not sentimental) I like to use stuff, not pack it away in a cupboard, but I also Like to know what it is. there was also the thought in my head, that this might be valuable,or rare, and as such the risks involved in using it, it getting chipped etc, might preclude me actually using it. I know glass flower frogs are common, but since I couldn't find one remotely like it, I thought it might be worth finding out what it is first.

I will take some photos of the base today, but there are no markings (Hallmarks etc) although my husband swears that there is writing "regd no " I can't see it tho.

Sklounion

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 08:09:58 PM »
Hi, TT,
Many members are wary of offering any info, regarding value, for a very simple reason.
In this modern, often, very litigious world, unless you are carrying heavyweight public liability and professional  indemnity insurance, one is probably better off saying nothing about values. As many posters are not qualified or professional valuers....... who wants to be sued for an innocent comment regarding price/value......????
That is why I and many others, will not be drawn over valuations. It is not really our role.
Sorry,
M

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand