No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Contemporary Paperweights  (Read 3128 times)

Offline AndrewBrownStudios

• Members
    • Andrew Brown Studios
Contemporary Paperweights
« on: November 08, 2009, 04:58:47 PM »
Greetings!

My name is Erika and I am brand new to this forum. I am curious if there is interest on this forum about contemporary paperweights and artists. If so, I'd like to introduce myself more fully and the work of Andrew Brown. Andrew's work is currently showing at SOFA Chicago which is an international critically acclaimed show. There is so much more I can tell you about Andrew and our contemporaries here in the states...we are a close-knit family of glass artists and are always excited to share our work with paperweight enthusiasts...even if our work is far different than the centuries of master paperweights who have come before us. Thank heaven for them and their boundless inspiration!

Thanks for taking a moment to read my post! I am looking forward to hearing from you  :D

Erika
Erika Hartwick
Partner
Andrew Brown Studios

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mrwatch

• Members
Re: Contemporary Paperweights
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 05:38:47 PM »
Hi, welcome to the board. I collect comtemporary weights. Sometimes the signiture cannot be read. Hope you will be able to help us.
 I live in Michigan. Bob

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

• Members
    • Andrew Brown Studios
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 05:49:36 PM »
Hi Bob!

Thanks for replying :) We'd be happy to help you out with signatures and ID-ing.

Take care,
Erika
Erika Hartwick
Partner
Andrew Brown Studios

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 06:18:25 PM »
I am not a paperweight collector, but I had to comment that I really like the work shown in the images....

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 06:36:59 PM »
Wow! I really like Andrew's work!
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

• Members
    • Andrew Brown Studios
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 06:54:14 PM »
Thank you all so much for the nice complements!

Glasstrufflehunter, I see that you are based out of Cali. We're actually going to California this coming Wednesday and having a demo and trunk show in Brea at Brea Bead Works. Andrew is also teaching 2 weekends of classes...would be wonderful to meet you!

Here's more info:

Friday, November 13
6-9 pm
http://www.breabeadworks.com/andrewbrown.html

If you are in SoCal and can't make the event we will be hanging out with my (Erika's) family in Glendale during the week and would be happy to meet up with you to show you our stuff in person!

All the best,
Erika

Erika Hartwick
Partner
Andrew Brown Studios

Offline Kari

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 07:12:47 AM »
I was lucky enough to purchase one recently - they are really gorgeous!

Offline malwodyn

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 02:52:50 PM »
Welcome to the Board! and thank you for posting the pictures!  Do you have a website where we can drool over some more pictures?

• Members
    • Andrew Brown Studios
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 09:18:17 PM »
Seasons Greetings All!

I apologize for not getting back to you all with information on where you can see more of Andrew's work. To learn more about Andrew himself, please visit our website at www.andrewbrownstudios.com. To see a comprehensive archive of his work since about 'o4, please visit www.glassartists.org/andrewbrown and click on the gallery link. Also, if you are a Facebook person, please search for his page using keyword Andrew Brown Studios and become a "fan." I tend to keep the Facebook site more up-to-date regarding new available work and pictures than the main website where I keep his CV and galleries more up-to-date.

Thanks to you all for your interest and support!

Erika
Erika Hartwick
Partner
Andrew Brown Studios

• Members
    • Andrew Brown Studios
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 09:27:33 PM »
Oh and...

We are back from our business trip to California and Andrew is back on the torch! A few days before we took off, I was lucky enough to have a private viewing of Paul and Karen Dunlop's paperweight collection. They are based out of North Carolina and were doing their annual cross-country trip with their kids meeting with paperweight collector associations and glass enthusiasts. WOW is all I can say about their collection! Paul just published a brand new beautiful book called "The Dictionary of Glass Paperweights, an illustrated primer" with Papier Presse. I bought Andrew a limited gold-leafed edition as a congrats present on his SOFA Chicago premier! Attached is a picture of Paul signing the copy :-)

Why do I go on about all this? Andrew wasn't able to check out the private viewing as he was busy on the torch, but the pics I brought home and shared with him inspired him to do a series of weights giving a nod to the classic styles. We both love the cold worked aspects of the classics like the star cut carved into the base and the windows or printies carved into the sides. I will take pics hopefully today of Andrew's new work to post here, but wanted to share a couple pics from the private viewing: http://www.flickr.com/photos/20334144@N04/?saved=1

Thanks to you all for your interest and support!

Erika
Erika Hartwick
Partner
Andrew Brown Studios

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand