No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Plate etched bird design. Was: Any antique drinking glass experts out there?  (Read 10161 times)

Offline peejyweejy

• Members
  • He that is of a merry heart hath a continual feast
That's lovely Ming!
Peejy x

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline peejyweejy

• Members
  • He that is of a merry heart hath a continual feast
Ahremck - that looks pretty close to me  :)
Peejy x

Offline Fen

• Members
Here's mine to add to the discussion. It looks like a very strange bird indeed. With the fence and the disproportionately large flower and greenery - the bird was difficult to photograph as the pattern from the other side of the glass is also seen - those are the flower's petals not extra feathers. I always thought it was some fashion for things Japanese but made in England. Wrong?

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
I think it is fair to say that several of us had earlier agreed, although with reservations about details and degrees of artistic licence, that these etched birds are not accurate representations of a particular species. (But I still think they are generally based on a heron of some type.)

For Ming's example shown above, Peejy mentioned "tendril thingies" and Ross commented on "trailing feathers" with a link to a type of bee-eater. As far as I know, trailing feathers, or tendril thingies, of most birds that have them are extensions of tail feathers. They do not sprout from below the body with the tail showing above them - which is how these mystery birds are shown. In Ming's example, there are certainly what appear to be legs below the body, but I believe those are actually parts of the background flora and the bird's legs are exactly as in the other examples. It's just an effect of having the bird set directly over background stuff, unlike the other examples where the bird is clear of the other elements.

Probably best to focus on the overall style of decoration rather than trying to pin things down to some country-specific creature. :)
KevinH

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
I have a small jug in the same pattern with the same two birds.

The jugs from Cathy B and Sid in replies #13 and #46 both have the handle applied from the bottom up. My small jug has a handle applied from the top down. Andy McConnell says the bottom up type handle “...became standard practice at British works during the 1870s”. Before that the handle was always top down. As the design is on a jug with the top down handle, it suggests a date for the design at least as early as the transition of handle type in the 1870s.

Mine has a polished pontil scar and is 100mm tall.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand