No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Did Jobling Make Iridised/ Carnival Glass? 1054 type Plate  (Read 4883 times)

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Did Jobling Make Iridised/ Carnival Glass? 1054 type Plate
« on: December 22, 2009, 10:40:13 AM »
Until recently I would have thought the answer to this was no; however I have a plate in my collection which appears to be Jobling's 1054 pattern, but it has been iridised.

The base colour appears to be black amethyst, the iridescence is very fine and shows lovely gold and purple colours. Dimensions are as follows:
Diameter 10 3/8 inches (26.4 cm)
Diameter of base 5 1/4 inches (13.3 cm)
Height approx. 1 inch (2.54 cm)

So does anyone have any thoughts on this please? Could it be Jobling or another maker? Unlike my other Jobling 1054 items the base has not been polished, but otherwise it seems to be a very good match, especially the distinctive star in the middle. Also I have a detail from an old Jobling advert which shows a piece which could be this item. Unfortunately I only have a very poor quality image and don't have the full details, except that the ad was sourced from The Pottery Gazette.

If anyone has any more information or knows of another company which made this pattern of plate in iridescent glass I'd be very grateful.

Thanks
Steven :)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Re: Did Jobling Make Iridised/ Carnival Glass? 1054 type Plate
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 11:30:35 AM »
Our recent book (Carnival Glass The Magic & The Mystery 2) includes a section on Greener/Jobling and shows a plate made in purple Carnival by them (it is not the same pattern as yours). Your discovery is absolutely wonderful and adds to the information that we have presented in the book.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 01:47:44 PM »
Steven — I've only ever seen that star on the 1054 series, also made without the star as 1054½, and with a fruit base as 1055.   I thought that I was the only 1054 devotee.   With two of us we'd better start a collectors club!

It's other distinctive features are that it was beautifully made in thick glass and it was expensive, so there's not much about.

By interpolation, your plate is probably from the same mould as the 9½" Round Dish / 7¾" Cupped Dish.   It can't be the next size up (10¼" / 8¼") as the base measures 6" with a base star of 3 7/8" (measured long point to long point).

I've only got the 8¼" + 6 x 5" Cupped Fruit Set, which we use two or three times a week, and a sad, glued back together jade 1054½ floating bowl on my reference shelf, the plain bowl in the nude figurine centrepiece launch PG advertisement reproduced in Baker & Crowe.   I've seen three of these altogether but the other two have both been 1054s with the star.

Glen — Your plate could be the 1054½ version without the star, or is it a completely different pattern?

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 03:19:54 PM »
Bernard, it is a completely different pattern and it has a Greener trademark.

Glen

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 06:31:07 PM »
Thank you both for the information on this pattern. Glen, it's great to hear that Jobling did make some iridised glass, and very nice to have made a discovery that can be described as wonderful! If you want any pictures of this piece, let me know & I'll be happy to send you the large versions.

Bernard, the 1054 collectors club seems like a great idea, I'll arrange to have the T shirts & bumper stickers printed right away ;) 

Anyway, here's the rest of my collection in this pattern for comparison. The float bowl is a 1054, I've never seen a 1054½ in the flesh. I believe the green cupped bowl with the fruit base is a 1055 though sadly I sold it before I realised what it was....

All the best,
Steven

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 06:46:40 PM »
Steven - yes please! I would really love the large versions of your photos. It's a very significant "find". Grateful thanks.

Glen

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 07:37:24 AM »
Steven — I've not seen any of your three delicious 1054s before.   Your bowl is not the floating bowl, which you will find in the advertisement reprinted in Baker & Crowe, and is a low cupped style.   Yours looks the same shape and size as the large flint 1054 from my Cupped Fruit Set.   It's the first time I've seen one of these 1054 centrepiece sets with a standard cupped bowl, but then it's not surprising as the patterned bowl sets often appear in this form.

... and I can't help with the 1054 collectors club at present as I am fully occupied with organising the 278 collectors club Christmas event!

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 08:48:38 AM »

Click on the above images to enlarge

Steven — as promised, photographs of the first edition 2541 jade centrepiece set launched PG 1 Sept 1933 with the 1054½ floating bowl (without the base star).   Don't look too closely at the sad state of the bowl!   The other two examples I've seen have been 1054 floating bowls, with the base star.

I've also taken the opportunity to show the prominence of the roses behind her legs from two slightly different angles.   It wasn't long before these were removed for the second edition 2541, making her extraction from the mould considerably easier.

Finally, this first edition set had a simple tapered bung fitting between the statuette and the block which sometimes jammed.   Mine and one of the other two I've seen have suffered the almost inevitable consequence, a broken flower block glued back together.   Later editions had a better designed fitting that stopped this jamming.

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 09:42:38 AM »
Do I take this to mean the roses round her legs were removed completely?

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 10:54:58 AM »
Do I take this to mean the roses round her legs were removed completely?
Yes; later examples are smooth at the rear. The photos below show the difference.

Bernard, re. the change in fitting, so far I've seen at least four different flower blocks for these sets, The version like yours with the bung fitting, a similar block but with fewer holes as on my jade example (perhaps the number of holes was reduced to make the block stronger?) another similar style block but with a narrower opening to take a slimmer peg fitting as on my amber example, and finally the later style, lighter block as shown in the 1934 catalogue.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand