No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID Help - Murano fish  (Read 1752 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
ID Help - Murano fish
« on: January 10, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »

Can anyone tell me which factory in Murano is likely to have made the fish paperweight shown below?  It is 3.5 inch / 91 mm diameter, 2.5 inch / 63 mm tall, and has a flat, polished base.  I have had the suggestion it is Barbini / Cenedese, but I am not convinced - however, I know little about these items.

Alan

Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: ID Help - Murano fish
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 06:54:13 PM »
See also this message from 2008, where discussion touched on Cenedese "Fish Block" designs by Licata as well as general "Orb" type Fish.

No real conclusion was reached but for the "Orb" types I mentioned, "I have also heard of these being attributed to Fratelli Toso or Venini."
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 02:19:16 AM »
The fish pws are difficult. So many of them are misattributed online and so few have labels. The fins of the fish remind me of the ones done by Seguso Dalla and Fratelli Toso, but the bubbly blue inclusion reminds me more of something I would expect from Archimede Seguso, Barbini, or Aureliano Toso. The brown with gold and the size of the fish are delightful. I would say probably not F. Toso or Seguso Dalla because the seaweed is much different than their standard. The quality of the dome looks better than most A. Toso weights I've seen. I am favoring Archimede Seguso or Barbini, but these are just guesses.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 08:19:09 AM »
Hi Kev and Anita

Thanks for the comments and link to the earlier thread.

The fish itself and the weed do have much in common with the Cenedese / Licata fish on modernistglass.com linked to in that thread, and the Google search for Cenedese / Licata fish turns up a couple of similar examples - but can we be sure is the attribution correct there!

Alan

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 01:36:29 PM »
The fin of the fish do resemble the Cenedese blocks. I didn't consider Cenedese because most the signed things I've seen by them have thin, well-defined seaweed strands that appear tangled, rather than straight. I'm sure that they could have deviated from this form, however, if the design called for it.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 04:20:09 PM »
Alan, is the fish in the side of the weight or on the top (like a floating dying fish)? And how is the base finished? More photos would be good.

But I will say now that even with extra info and photos, I will not be able to suggest a maker. However, I agree with Anita's point that the seaweed in this weight does not seem to be of the same quality as the Cenedese (Licata) work.
KevinH

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 03:53:51 PM »
Hi Kev.

The fish and weed are in the 'conventional' paperweight cushion position. The base is polished flat. Click to enlarge images.

Alan

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 12:14:37 AM »
Thanks, Alan. That's a variation I have not seen before!
KevinH

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 02:32:07 AM »
I saw a couple of fish blocks listed on AntiqueHelper.com that were attributed to Barbini for Cenedese. The filaments of the seaweed were similar to your fish paperweight. The blocks on Antique Helper were not signed, so I don't know if they are attributed correctly. Just thought I would mention it.

I keep coming back to how much the fins look like Fratelli Toso. I wish we could find one like this with a label.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand