No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old bulbous vase with ribbon trail ID Maybe Bohemian?  (Read 777 times)

Offline kerry

• Members
Old bulbous vase with ribbon trail ID Maybe Bohemian?
« on: March 30, 2010, 11:40:16 AM »
Would love to know more about this old vase - I can't really tell much about it except it is around 7 inches tall and has a broken off pontil  and feels rough - hope someone can help with more info, thanks, Kerry.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: Old bulbous vase with ribbon trail ID wanted
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 11:52:31 AM »
Looks Bohemian circa 1920-1940 to me but this is just a guess really. I would hope that the Loetz-Kralik enthusiasts on GMB may have seen similar items to this in their travels and comment more specifically, looks like a quality vase though, even if I am just guessing! Maybe Bohemian? in the title will get their attention.... A likable vase,

Robert

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline kerry

• Members
Re: Old bulbous vase with ribbon trail ID wanted
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 11:56:47 AM »
Thankyou so much Robert - I was hoping Loetz Kralik! But is wasn't sure about the 'rough' surface of the glass, hopefully someone can shed more light on it for me, thanks, Kerry.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Old bulbous vase with ribbon trail ID Maybe Bohemian?
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 12:54:48 PM »
The surface treatment is known as Scavo and was used by several Murano companies - and by Lafiore and Gordiola from Mallorca. It seems to me the shape is very modern - and broken off pontil sounds very Lafiore.

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 02:38:35 PM »
Oops! Ivo has seen a lot more glass from around the world than me ... I was looking at this thinking about the antique semi-bubble glass pulegoso stuff that factories like Reich were producing that must have been partly inspired by Italian techniques ... The Lafiore website does not seem to produce much like this at the moment though.

Would you be able to suggest a date for production Ivo? When you say modern as you thinking post 1950 or post 1980?

Robert

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 03:47:24 PM »
I was thinking like contemporary now. Lafiore operate an outlet for mainly scavo pieces of roman-like design in Barajas airport - so a lot of it is finding its way abroad. Gordiola also make this type of glass - but as far as I know they only have two outlets in Palma.

Offline kerry

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 11:17:25 PM »
Thank you very much for your help! have picked up some very good information from this for future use to, thanks, Kerry.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand