No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vase ID please. Dutch? Scandinavian?  (Read 876 times)

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
Vase ID please. Dutch? Scandinavian?
« on: April 20, 2010, 08:22:18 PM »
It's in a very subtle light brown smoke / fumi colour, with a clear base. The base is quite heavy. It has definetely seen some wear (scratches, milky stained), so should it be the first item to start my vintage Ikea collection, it's had a rough life :). It measures 24 cm tall, 6.5 cm at the top and the bottom of the base, and 10 cm at its widest point. There are no markings at all. As can be seen on the photograph, the base is sculpted in a particular way, with a point in the middle that might give a clue to its origins for all the much better informed people at this forum.

It was only 1 euro at the charity shop, and despite the not so good condition I was intrigued enough to pick it up. The reason why I think it might be Dutch is because I live there and because the fumi colour reminded me of some Maastricht pieces, though I couldn't find this particular type in the Maastricht book I have. The form though looked more Scandinavian to me. Or perhaps it's Belgian, or German?

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline astrid

• Members
Re: Vase ID please. Dutch? Scandinavian?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 06:23:15 AM »
I hope it's not too early to bump it - even if people don't know much about the vase, I specifically want to ask what sort of info can be gained from this type of base (pointy bit in the middle of the base). Does that indicate mold blown? Pressed? Handmade? Specific for a certain region?

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 07:14:13 AM »
Mould blown I would guess. Can't tell for sure because of the angle of your photo but very similar to this one: http://www.designlasi.com/en/content/vase-1378--en

John

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 08:29:33 AM »
Mould blown I would guess. Can't tell for sure because of the angle of your photo but very similar to this one: http://www.designlasi.com/en/content/vase-1378--en

John
Very alike design but difference in finish in my eyes tho. To me it looks as if the Riihimäen base is more like flat and this one has a larger hollow in it as described. I wouldn't say that Riihimäen Lasi would have occasional variance this much. Unless in seconds?   :ac1:
I would rather think that nice way of shaping the base would be deliberate. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 07:48:49 PM »
Well, there are a few flaws that might suggest a seconds. A bubble in the upper part, and the whole vase is not quite straight, it leans a bit to one side. But I like the shape of the base, and if I learn a bit more from this thread, it's been well worth its price tag. Maybe an attempt from a European factory in the 60s of 70s to make their own version of this type of design. For instance, I stumble over Belgian glass quite often, and I'm still scrambling to find more late 20th century Belgian reference books. I knew some Belgian factories were inspired by Scandinavian designs, though I don't know to what extent.

Another thing, it feels relatively heavy, weighs 800 grams. Could that mean it could be crystal instead of glass? Or is it just heavy because the base is so massive? I'm not sure yet how to spot the difference.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand