No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A mixed bunch?  (Read 7901 times)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
A mixed bunch?
« on: December 11, 2005, 12:34:56 PM »
Hi,
#1 Another unidentified ashtray. Murano?

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10026/green.jpg
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10026/green1.jpg

#2 A cased 6 sided textured red vase. I read somewhere that these are everywhere, or as Leni would say 'dime a dozen,' although I still cannot find out who the maker is, any ideas?

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10026/red.jpg

#3 These I have seen attributed to more than one maker, from Murano to Leerdam. Do any of you genius's know where they actually come from?

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-515

Each has a yellow/amberish, pink, blue and green raised banding.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
A mixed bunch?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 01:54:27 PM »
I think 1 and 3 are Czech from Bohemia /Chrbska factory?
#2 my personal guess is Empoli, but I emphasise it is a guess.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
A mixed bunch?
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 02:35:07 PM »
Hi

I agree Czech for first item, is the base polished or matt?

Second item is often wrongly attributed to W/F or Davidsons, but there has as you mention been much discussion and 'STÖLZLE OBERGLAS AG & CO, Köflach, Austria' seems to be the suggested manufacturer for these vases. They come in square and multiple sided form.

Previous thread
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1809.0.html

Last items interest me, I have been seeing them more often in retro glass dealers windows, I have seen smaller versions in a solid amber and green colour, the larger piece is more familiar to me with it's rainbow of applied colours, it is not sommerso, but a clever and interesting technique nevertheless. I think Czech yes as Ivo says - I would love to see a label as these are cropping up more often - I have seen a bowl version about 3" high with the same flanges.

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
A mixed bunch?
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 03:11:54 PM »
Hi Ivo and Adam P.
Thanks for the info.

The first one has a polished star shaped base.

The third (two), I have just seen a bowl with the identical colours along the sides. It is said to have been made by Bohemia Glassworks, however, there was also no label applied.

I did find this page with labels on for Czech glass products, it is probably already known, but last time I thought that, I was wrong :!:
http://web.gfxs.cz/mo/sponz.htm
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
A mixed bunch?
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 04:06:53 PM »
With regard to vase #2. I was just reading through the post you gave me the link to Adam, thanks.
Glen said:
The base is usually patterned and not ground.

Mine does not have a patterned base. It is not polished flat either, it has a thin outer rim and then is concave, no pattern.
Ivo said:
the yellowish tinge of the glass.

The casing is crystal clear.
I will do some more 'surfing' this evening and see if I can find out more.

I was just searching for an ID for a vase Pip has in another thread and I have now managed to ID #3 in my list. Adam P was curious as to who made these as he had seen a few cropping up.

Well I have found an identical one: (The photos are clearer than mine, but the vase is identical)

http://www.justglassmall.com/stores/barclaygalleries/items/301246/en1justglass.html

It is signed 'Chalet Glass' so not Czec, but Canadian.

Offline David555

• Members
A mixed bunch?
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 06:26:39 PM »
Hi

Della that is a great ID

I forgot about this thread while in the meantime I posted a glass bowl in similar colours with a Canadian label - Identified as Chalet!

A good website link was given - I have looked and also see the vase in question in varied colours http://www.mblaisgallery.com/dynamic/artists/Chalet_Art_Glass_Glass.asp

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Sklounion

A mixed bunch?
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 09:35:51 PM »
Hi, Is all chalet signed?
One needs to be cautious about unsigned pieces. Peter and I recently discussed a piece, which seems generic. Our conclusion is that these were quite common, and though others may have followed the trend, some of these pieces are Czechoslovakian, some are designed by Frantisek Zemek, some produced by Teplicke Sklo, Mstisov,(formerly Inwald) and later by Karlovarske Sklo Moser. Unlike Moser proper, which I believe always to have been signed, KSM items may merely have had paper labels, long gone.

Czech glass 1945-1990 is, as I am continually finding, an area of surprises.
In Communist era Czechoslovakia, there was a dedicated studio of etched glass, which does not appear in any of the western, English language texts. I found this studio yesterday, but with the exception of one Cz language text, I have never seen any other reference to such a studio. Ostensibly it came under the control of the same organisation that ran Beranek/Skrdlovice.

Regards,

Marcus

Offline David555

• Members
A mixed bunch?
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 10:20:43 PM »
A quote that sums up 'Chalet Artistic Glass' 1958 - 81 "Chalet glass is often unmarked" from a forum I found discussing Chalet.

I think without a mark or label many pieces are attributed to Murano (Chalet was even called Murano Glass Incorporated 1960-62, A-Z fact file pp31), or post war Czech.

It makes sense therefore that many pieces of Murano and Czech are attributed to Chalet. I am not sure how the seller given in the above link assesses what is and is not Chalet - some pieces look so close to Czech,  more so than Murano.

I only knew this piece was Canadian ('Chalet' I am told), because of the label - I guess experts can tell, but without the label I could see it being sold as Czech or Murano on eBay.

It would be good to get a list of Chalet labels, marks and shapes together. I wonder if there is a dedicated collector, perhaps based in Canada on the board that could help out.

Marcus the new studio you found linked to Beranek/Skrdlovice sounds fascinating.

Adam P

Sklounion

A mixed bunch?
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 05:27:04 AM »
Hi Adam,

The etched glass studio in Prague, is being investigated further. The activities of UUR, who ran Skrdlovice, and also controlled the Simice-founded Glass Cutting Centre remain something of a mystery. The glass-cutting centre is documented in a minor way in Ricke, but the etching studio is a new one to me, and was clearly advertised as a individual unit, in Umeni a Remesla, the Czechoslovakian art and crafts quarterly.

regards,

Marcus

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
A mixed bunch?
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 06:40:28 PM »
#1 I agree with Ivo - Czech, Chribska and I like it a lot !

#2 Oberglass

#3 Ok this is what most of the discussion has been about but which has perhaps become rather confusing to some. To recap then :

Della's item is similar in style to those discussed another topic.

Marcus and I had thought at one time that there was a relationship between them but the colours in Dellas are more muted and the flanges slimmer - but still solid, Della ?

The piece I post there has been pretty well pinned down as Czech attributed as Marcus says above - so not relevant to your piece Della - as you have found one identical to yours which is signed as Chalet, there can be very little if any doubt, that is indeed what it is.  I hope this makes things clearer.

There is only the slimmest chance that someone went wild with the dremmel but Chalet would not be the first choice for profit maximization so incredibly unlikely. 

This discussion shows well the potential dangers of ID by stylistic similarity alone.

Signed examples of Chalet are known but I agree that most Chalet is NOT signed, hence the problem of identifying much of it, given the similarity of their forms and styles to Murano and some Czech production. :roll: 

Adam P
there is at least one other glass company in Canada which is called Altaglass. I have only seen one example and its not like yours or the Chalet stuff.
Pete

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand