No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old and old-fashioned cut crystal vase  (Read 2502 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Old and old-fashioned cut crystal vase
« on: August 16, 2010, 09:35:41 AM »
This large 27cm cut lead crystal vase has been in my family for a long, long time...  It was in my mother's childhood home (Kraków, Poland) and it belonged to her grandmother.  

Is it possible to identify the origins/year?  

Though it's an old-fashioned piece with little appeal today, I really must say it's wonderful.  Unlike my more modern Polish cut lead crystals, this vase gives off such a beautiful and long ring.  It even rings with the touch of a finger which I think is amazing.

Thank you!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: Old and old-fashioned cut crystal vase
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 04:45:30 PM »
I've received a suggestion that my vase could be by BOHEMIA PODĚBRADY glassworks.  Any thoughts or ideas?

Thank you :)

P.S. I read in an on-line Czech crystal guide that some pieces may have over a 30% lead content (as opposed to the regular 24% or less)...  considering the sound my vase makes, I believe that is true of mine.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 01:49:50 PM »
sorry you haven't been inundated with replies Anik - it's a great piece, and the all over cutting is quite amazing  -  would look great with an electric light behind it.   Is that a ground and polished clear pontil mark on the base?   The lead content provides for easier cuting I beleive, makes the piece ring well, but most importantly gives the glass that sparkle and brilliance when cut.    However, I am unaware of the benefits of 30% lead content as opposed to the standard 24%  -  maybe it enhances the sparkle even more.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 02:48:30 PM »
Hi Paul...  thank you for your interest.

I believe you're right -- lead content (and proper cutting) increases the light refraction properties of the piece.  ;D (Showing off my new word here).  The lead also gives the crystal its beautiful ring.  Unfortunately, my vase is almost half matt which reduces its 'sparkabilty' somewhat.  As for the base:  There is a star cut into a circular shiny 'island'.  The island appears slightly taller than the part around it, but sits flush to the base's rim.  (In other words, the rim tapers/slopes towards the center of the piece.  At the center, there is that island, which is a bit taller...).  Am I making any sense?  :huh:

The vase is very obviously hand-cut as the patterns are 'imperfect' and each slightly different from the next...  this is especially visible towards the bottom of the vase.  Oh, and did I mention the beautiful ring it makes???  :)

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 03:12:19 PM »
I have two Bohemia Podebrady catalogues:

http://picasaweb.google.cz/Jindra8526/BOHEMIA1984?authkey=Gv1sRgCOzExPCkh6__jwE#

http://picasaweb.google.cz/Jindra8526/BOHEMIA1983?authkey=Gv1sRgCK2Yr7zA9Ki3hAE#

and one older from Sobotka
http://picasaweb.google.cz/Jindra8526/SOBOTKA?authkey=Gv1sRgCO310J_6mPHAngE#

but the same pattern I have not found. If it is Bohemia, than 70ties or later, but it can be also German glass not Czech.
Take a look to catalogues, you will discover that "Bohemian taste" is a bit differnet and cutting is richer.

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 03:38:15 PM »
Hello Jindrich  :)

Before I posted my vase, I did take a look at all your catalogues and did not see this pattern...  But I was still hoping.  ;)

I believe my mother brought this vase to Canada in the mid-60s, so I suppose the 'Bohemia' hope is out.  But I will ask her one more time about this vase.  It could certainly be that I got my stories and pieces mixed up...  I do have quite a bit of old and older crystal given to me by my parents, and each with a different history.  :-\

I will check.

Thank you!

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 03:59:20 PM »
The problem with this Bohemian Crystal is that even today are people able to made so "old looking" cut pieces that to estimate anything is very dangerous.

Bohemia Podebrady made this cut glass very industrialy and semi-authomatic, therefor it looks less attractive.
The value of traditional Bohemian crystal vary strongly. Naturaly in the centre of Prague you can buy overpriced but excellent pieces, at flea market however the same and sometimes better ones has very low value, nobody here needs and wants it.

We all have at home the case with our cut crystal inherited from grandmas, complete sets never used :-)

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 04:23:26 PM »
Oh my...  now this is horribly embarrassing...  :pb:

I've just finished talking to my mother, and she told me I'm completely confused, but that she loves me anyway...
This vase was given to her in 1994 ( :o) by her aunt...  1994 -- not 60s or 50s or 40s or 30s.  Granted, it was used when she was presented with it, however it's nowhere near as 'old' as I thought.

:24: :24: :24:

The 'old-fashioned-ness' of it messed up the stories in my head.  The 'old' grandma piece I have (according to my mother) is actually a very modern-looking crystal decanter and shot-glasses.  Who would have thought?

:thud:

I'm such a silly cow.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 04:39:06 PM »
Awwww Anik, don't feel bad! :hug: We all get muddled with stuff at times  :-[  and at least you were able to go and check with your Mum  :rah: (and she still loves ya!  :kissy: aren't Mums wonderful?!)  :hiclp:

I think that your vase is gorgeous whenever it was made. I've not seen one like it before.  :sun:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 04:46:14 PM »
Thank you, Anne!   :kissy:  I knew I could count on you for sweet, consoling words...

Now, could you possibly take this thread and shove it in a deep, dark hole to make sure no one ever reads it again???  I've got a reputation to up-hold, you know.

:24:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand