No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: is this Borske Sklo 'Knobbles' vase please.  (Read 2527 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
is this Borske Sklo 'Knobbles' vase please.
« on: August 29, 2010, 12:12:33 PM »
I have an example of the more usual size (6.75 inches) in blue - with the typical mould 'cross' on the base (shown here in pic. three).    However, found this one earlier today, which is almost 9 inches/227mm tall - and the 'green' seems to agree more or less with the Borske Sklo green.   However, the 'knobbles' are less pronounced/pointed - they fade towards the base - but most importantly, the base has a very different mould 'star' impression, instead of the cross.   Rim is ground/polished as usual.   I understand that other factories produced similar pieces  -  so am thinking this green one may well be some other output rather than Borske Sklo, unfortunately.     Very grateful for other people's opinion/thoughts, and as always thanks for looking.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline dinklepip

• Members
Re: is this Borske Sklo 'Knobbles' vase please.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 01:55:18 PM »
I would say deffo Sklo

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 02:11:12 PM »
I assume you mean Borske Sklo, not Sklo Union or ZBS any other sklo - sklo just means glass. It's like referring to any of the English companies as Glass or Scandinavian companies as Glas.

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 02:41:31 PM »
Yes it's a Borske Sklo Knobbly bobbly as I like to call them  :hiclp:  :)

They all have the star on the bottom, well mine do anyway. I didn't know they came with crosses.
“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 02:51:04 PM »
If it is a Borske Sklo knobbly vase, why is the base so different from Paul's blue one?  (I've never had the pleasure of handling a Borske Sklo optic range vase, so I don't know what the base should look like.)  Are both bases common/normal?  Maybe one of these vases is not Borske Sklo.

By the way, Paul, is the green as bright as it appears in your photo?  (I like the green -- the vase looks like a happy blown up toad  ;) )

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 03:02:41 PM »
Can we have a picture from the top down and a picture of them both together?
“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 03:08:21 PM »
thanks to both of you.    Couldn't agree more Christine, this hurried use of the work Sklo means nothing of course, since, as you say it means, simply, 'glass'.   If I gave the impression that I didn't know that, then apologies.  I had taken my use of the expression from Mark Hill - and perhaps should have said just 'Borske'.   On the other hand, Marcus Newhall's book is called Sklo Union - and has nothing to do with mould blown glass  (his book is concerned with pressed glass only).
Let me be really specific - I am referring to Mark Hill's book 'Hi Sklo Lo Sklo' - page 'soixante neuf' (top left pic.).     In truth I was worried that my piece wasn't a 'Borske' piece because of the mould impression on the base  -  very different from my smaller 'knobbly bobbly', which has just the crossed lines.
However, in view of the replies from 'dinklepip' and 'Nemmie', I now feel reassurred, and will catalogued this large green piece as Borske.    It really is an impressive lump - big as a football.
thanks to all of you  - and I feel really happy. :)
P.S.  just seen Anik's contribution.   I agree, I don't know why the mould mark is different - but these others guys know more than me, so I take their word for it.    I had questioned the attribution, simply because the book does say that other factories made similar pieces.   Sorry, green and I have an unhappy history here on the GMB ;D, so dangerous waters for me to venture into.    I don't know too much about happy toads :)  but I sense your meaning.
P.P.S.   I  s.u.p.p.o.s.e    so   -  I started typing this years ago - people keep coming in and I have to keep adding bits. :)

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 03:18:05 PM »
The thing is that now I am doubting whether mine are. They are not as big as footballs but they do have the star pattern on the bottom.

I bought two from Ebay that were listed as Borske and picked up one from a boot fair which means that they might have been listed incorrectly and therefore my attribution of the third was also incorrect.

― Henry Ford

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 03:33:12 PM »
I was just quoting Mark Hill, who says......'and a full or partial impressed 'cross' on the base which was left by the four part moulds used'..........so I thought that my green one which has this more 'star like' mould impression, was quite likely not a Borkse piece.     As I have said..... my smaller blue vase does have the 'cross' impression.    Does anyone still want to see more pics. of either vase??

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 03:41:56 PM »
I was just quoting Mark Hill, who says......'and a full or partial impressed 'cross' on the base which was left by the four part moulds used'..........so I thought that my green one which has this more 'star like' mould impression, was quite likely not a Borkse piece.     As I have said..... my smaller blue vase does have the 'cross' impression.    Does anyone still want to see more pics. of either vase??

Yes I see your point and mine going by that statement are not Borske either. I will just try not to think about it. :)

At least I found some more Vizner today which almost makes up for it.
― Henry Ford

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand