No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID: Small geometric engraved plate, what was it used for?  (Read 1266 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
ID: Small geometric engraved plate, what was it used for?
« on: September 17, 2010, 08:19:11 PM »
this is as much for interest as for an id of use please.    7 inches/175mm diameter - acid etched back of bowl section, and the base star is actually cut.     Small wines and sherries showing this geometric etching are not uncommon - although I had not previously seen a platter/bowl/plate/dish, or whatever this should correctly be called.  On larger pieces this patterning is attractive - and although this not not an example of the Greek Key motif, it does remind you of that sort of symmetrical design.     Looking at the books, this machine made decoration seems to have started around the middle of the C19, and doubtless went on well into the early C20.   There is internal wear to the bowl, although not a lot, but seemingly almost none to the underside.     The bowl part is about 10 - 12mm/0.5 inch deep.    Anyone like to take a punt as to age, and/or use please.     Thanks for looking.  

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: example of geometric etching
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 09:40:11 PM »
Stand for a bottle of wine?  :huh:  No idea about an ID.   :-\

I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 10:26:23 PM »
Underplate for a bowl?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 06:32:26 AM »
Paul, I wonder if changing the title of this thread would get more people looking?  Maybe something like 'ID Small geometric engraved plate, what was it used for?' - whaddya think?  :)

I am not a man

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 07:51:00 AM »
Anne and Max - thanks for the your ideas.   Since posting yesterday ( and looking at Anne's suggestion) - I have remembered that in the second half of the C19 (at least) a piece of table kit (no doubt for the better off) was a finger bowl.    Might this possibly be the 'stand' in which the finger bowl might have sat?  Just an idea anyway  -  but leave it to you entirely Max to adjust the title however you see fit, to give wider appeal or whatever.    Thanks :)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: ID: Small geometric engraved plate, what was it used for?
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 08:11:12 AM »
Dunnit.   :)
I am not a man

Offline jinxi

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 06:18:11 PM »
Hi

This is a wild guess, but how about a cake plate? 

In England, in the nineteenth century, Madeira cake was often served with a glass of Madeira or other sweet wine (hence the name). Perhaps a serving plate for this would be included with a set of wine glasses or available to purchase as an optional exta.  Think ratafias (small macaroon biscuits) were similarly offered as accompaniment to sweet wines.

It's one theory anyway!

Veronica

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 06:51:38 PM »
thanks Veronica - and really appreciate your suggestion, which is just as good as anyone else's at the moment :)  It is true that the size of this piece is about the same size of what we might now call a 'tea plate'.     Must admit you seem knowedgeable regarding cake and sweet wines - and frankly I had never before heard of the word 'ratafias', despite having noshed many a macaroon biscuit over the years - so thanks for the information.   I'm inclined to consider the date of this 'plate/bowl' to be roughly 1850  -  1880 ish, although I suppose it might be later.   What do you consider was the height of the Madeira drinking period.? :)   

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 10:27:34 AM »
Shape reminded me of my Stuart bowls and underplates here Paul:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34248.0.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline jinxi

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 03:55:59 PM »
Hi Paul, please you liked my idea of a cake plate! 

According to Wiki, Madeira wine, which is a fortified wine, was at the height of its popularity in the 18th century, and at the end of its popularity c. 1850 when beset by some cultivation disease.

Its popularity in UK probably encouraged by the British fleet, under Nelson, occupying Madeira during the Napoleonic Wars, leaving in 1814 ish.

Ratafias were also another name for liqueur type alcoholic drinks, flavourings infused in alcohol and left for some months (a bit like sloe gin) and often home made and the almond ratafia biscuits an accompaniment to them.

Rather think both of these were seen as 'ladies drinks' and perhaps considered slightly more refined and genteel than spirits.  Sipped as an occasional small glass with snack, between meals, rather than consumed as a means of becoming blotto!  Also, the nature of both alcohols meant that they could both be kept for months once the bottle was opened without deteriorating.

Regency period with its simplicity, neo classical lines and the great days of the aristos undertaking Grand Tour of Italy, Greece etc. would surely tie in with Greek Key design of plate?  I know design continued in popularity until Edwardian times but when was it first utilised in ceramics, glass, jewellery, woodwork and architecture in UK?  Probably around this time but I couldn't give you a date. 

Veronica

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand