No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: possible Rubine bowl.  (Read 3272 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
possible Rubine bowl.
« on: December 12, 2010, 03:36:18 PM »
Assumed this would be Sowerby 'rubine'  - but can't in fact see it on the CD catalogue - and don't see the pattern on Pamela's encyclopedia - but guess I may have missed it somewhere - mind you those circles on the base seem familiar.     Bought the large bowl plus five small bowls as a 'set' - although usually see these things as isolated bowls only.   Diameter of large bowl is about 8.5"/215mm.  Arguably one of the most difficult pieces I have tried photographing  -  just couldn't avoid the glare from the red, so apologies for the rather poor qualtity pics.  Would be very grateful if anyone does recognize the pattern, and my thanks for looking. :)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: possible Rubine bowl.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 11:17:33 PM »
Is there a difference between Ruby Glass and Rubine Glass?
Your bowl is such a lovely clear red,  not like the 'ruby red' of my Wedgwood Elephants.

I have very little red glass, and even less yellow.
Are these colours more difficult to produce?

Sorry to ask so many questions,  but I am just starting to take more interest in glass tableware since I realised how much of my green glass collection of 30's glass was uranium glass!

I would like to find a design that is available in several different clear colours so that I can have a multicoloured 'set'.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 02:26:33 PM »
I believe the answer is yes, rosie.    looking back at my post some time in the summer ........... http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34485.msg186656.html#msg186656.......... I am aware that I commented that the books said Soweby added both selenium and cadmium sulphide to produce their particular shade of red  -  but I don't have access to my books just now so can't confirm.   Sowerby's colour has almost a hint of amber/gold in the red, rather than just a straight red  -  unless it's my eyes playing tricks.    If you look at Davidson's red, theirs does appear more of plain red, although I'm unsure of the chemical composition that was used.   The Sowerby examples, especially when there is a quality pressed pattern, really are striking pieces, although the bowl in this thread is not quite in that league.     I haven't had time to look any more for the origin of this most recent piece - although I have looked thru the Sowerby catalogue post 1922  -  and am sure I couldn't see it.    May well not be 'Rubine' and might simply be a plain 'ruby' piece from the le Continent. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 05:49:02 PM »
just to prove that I don't always give up the chase..................I have located what appears to be this pattern on the Marcus Newhall CD, and it is attributed to Rudolfova Hut - Glass Export before 1958 - Page 11 - No. 11364/B, although the size of mine is slightly at odds with the catalogue which quotes 200mm.    The underside of this bowl has the quite typical older style of flat/ground outer rim - so guess this might be anywhere from 1930 - 1950. 
Having said all of this, there seems an anomaly insofar as.............in Marcus Newhall's book, the author discusses the various colours used by the Sklo Union factories, and  ruby red is not mentioned.      Might this mean therefore that this particular mould was acquired by a factory ourside Czechoslovakia  -  or might ruby be a very rare variant produced by Rudolfova Hut.    All thoughts welcome  -  and grateful if someone would please double check the CD for me.    Many thanks. :)
Ref.  'Sko Union - Art Before Industry:  20th Century Czech Pressed Glass'  -  Marcus Newhall - 2008. (The 'pattern' for this bowl appears on the CD only).

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 04:56:02 PM »
Pretty sure some Ruby glass if not all starts off as Amber at least this is what was explained to me when I posted some Whitefriars pieces which turned to amber towards the base.
Think the Amber is 'cooled off' then re-heated to form the Ruby and it's all to do with the cooling process, in fact I have a Ruby 10" wave ribbed vase where the area round the pontil mark is Amber.
Will take a picture tomorrow and see if I can find the thread and original photos.
Chris
http://www.whitefriars.com/bb_orig/viewtopic.php?p=28446&highlight=#28446 a link to a photo of one I had

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 05:21:35 PM »
thanks Chris  -  I sense you know a lot more about this colour matter than I do  -  I have a couple of very nice Sowerby pressed (patterned) bowls - but 'red' is not a subject that I have really studied  -  I do know that colour changes can be created by re-heating - but might this also be the result of the chemicals present in the glass, perhaps.     As I have mentioned, I was puzzled by the fact that Marcus Newhall did not refer to 'ruby' in his book.    Look forward to seeing pictures of your W/Fs wave ribbed vase. :) 

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 06:06:58 PM »
Hi Paul,  I always thought ruby glass was made by adding gold to the molten glass,  so I am bewildered to know where amber glass would come into it?

I saw this link on eBay and the bowl seems to have the same number of scallops to the rim.....could it be the same maker....?

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-RUBY-RED-GLASS-COMPOTE-BOWL-PEDESTAL-METAL-BASE-/200554701151?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb1fde15f
Rosie.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 06:21:31 PM »
Rosie.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 08:44:39 PM »
I always thought ruby glass was made by adding gold to the molten glass,  so I am bewildered to know where amber glass would come into it?
The pinky-red glass and that which is sometimes called 'Cranberry' is made with gold in the glass (well, not pure gold but gold chloride) and the more amber-red glass is made with Selenium salts  :) 
Leni

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 09:00:08 PM »
Paul, I do think your bowls are lovely...  but you also raised a very interesting question:  Did Rudolfova Hut use red? 

I think you've still got a little mystery to solve.  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand