No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can anyone help identify... 4 snifters with ceramic base...le Coup du Milieu  (Read 1665 times)

Offline novakane

• Members
I have 4 miniature snifters that sit in a ceramic base. Each base has "le Coup du Milieu" on it and each glass has a wheat etch with an etched symbol as well. I have a tiny bit of info that I found but it was more on what "le Coup du Milieu" meant and not the snifter set. If anyone can help me find out what they are, where there from, and who there made by that would be most appreciated,thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
The ceramic bits look like French Onion Soup bows. Are the snifters actually attached?  :huh:

Carolyn

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline novakane

• Members
Nope, there not attached and they are only around 2" diameter. The glasses are 2"h and 1-1/4" diam.(top).  Maybe the new picture can help.

Offline novakane

• Members
Here's a close up of the snifters...

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
The colours of the glass and the engraving strike me as Czech but it seems highly likely to me that the ceramics were made elsewhere and the whole assembled for the US market or for a restaurant.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Hmmm I'd tend to agree with Christine - and the bases do look very like miniature soup bowls! :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
The bases and the glasses do not look as if they belong together at all - not even during the same course at table!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
"Le coup du milieu" refers to the slug of kirsch that folks either dip their bread cubes in before plunging into their fondue or sip alongside.   Seen a few of these mini fondue pots ("petits caquelons"), but never as a set with glasses.  They'd get in the way when you're dipping your bread!

I reckon someone married up the two components because the colours matched, more or less.  Then they could serve the kirsch in the glass, allowing the diner the choice of either drinking it straight, or pouring it into the little pot for dipping purposes - or both, hic!  :ho:

The glasses look Czech to me, too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand