No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large geode bowl - bought as Murano, but is it - and if so, by whom?  (Read 2341 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Murano but who???
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 01:42:29 PM »
I have had a similar bowl but much smaller in size (about 3 or 4 inches in diameter), same proportions, thickly cased and this one was purple. It was very nicely made and well finished with bevelled polished edges around the rim. I suspect it was Polish, Krosno used to make some fine quality stuff...... A friend has it now, if I can organise a photo soon I will add it to this thread.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline AJLUNN1965

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 02:37:26 PM »
My search for the country/maker/designer is purely for my own information.........Not for a tag that will increase its value or to achieve a sale! It will remain on my desk.

When purchased, the seller sold it as Murano. When shown to 2 very experienced art glass dealers (1 an author on the subject) it was also their opinion that it was Murano but they were unsure of its design. So with due respect....i'm not the only one that does! Subsequently i took the origin at face value. If its not? then i bow to your far superior knowledge. I purchase antique/collectable pieces based upon their beauty & quality....not upon their perceived worth! I would be as happy with the geode if it was Scandanavian, Polish or any other country of manufacture. 

Thank you to the kind members who have expressed an opinion upon its origin.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 07:05:22 PM »
It not so easy to find designers of Murano glass unless the item has some particularly identifiable characteristics (and dealers should know that). It's not often easy to identify glass as being Murano because so many different companies use/have used the same techniques.

I think this may be Krosno and made for and designed by a company called LSA. See this similar one, which was labelled
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=232
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=231

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 10:25:56 PM »
Andrews piece is quite a bit larger than the average ashtray though at 8" across.   :o

I am not a man

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Large geode bowl - bought as Murano, but is it?
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 11:53:37 PM »
Andrew, I have changed the title of the thread to hopefully attract some more views.

At the time I moved the thread out of Murano, there were a couple of comments suggesting it might not be Murano and, other than your own initial posts, no Board members had commented that it was, or was very likely, Murano. Therefore, as Sue has said, moving (temporarily) to the general Glass forum is a better way to get more thoughts on an item that, within the GMB, appears to be in doubt.

I believe that David's point about, "Too often, this tag is lazily dangled in front of art glass purely to achieve a sale ..." was not a suggestion that you were trying to gain profit, just a general point of "loose attrbitions" that are sadly seen so much in online auctions and stores and also in many well established "antiques & collectable fairs".

Your addtional comment about the "2 very experienced art glass dealers (1 an author on the subject)" is useful new information. Can you say who that author is, and if they are experienced in Murano glass or art glass in general?
KevinH

Offline AJLUNN1965

• Members
Re: Large geode bowl - bought as Murano, but is it - and if so, by whom?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 09:24:58 AM »
Kevin

Thanks for your response & changing the title, i hope it provokes a positive response?

With reference to the 2 dealers....being that they are long time friends as well as people i buy from on a regular basis, i would prefer to keep their identities private & tackle them on the issue the next time i see them. It will be interesting to see if by offering a separate opinion changes their view on the Geode? Anyway, it won't change my opinion on the bowl, as i would have bought it whoever had made it!

& Max.....i dont think its an ashtray? it has no rests formed in the rim, i think its just a decorative piece? & yes its a large & ive weighed it....2.5kg

Thank you both for your imput.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: Large geode bowl - bought as Murano, but is it - and if so, by whom?
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 10:02:49 AM »
& Max.....i dont think its an ashtray? it has no rests formed in the rim, i think its just a decorative piece? & yes its a large & ive weighed it....2.5kg

I was just trying to bring people's attention to how large your item is Andrew, as Lustroustone had linked to an item of hers which appears to be an ashtray, although I expect Lustroustone was simply showing the style was similar.   :)

I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand