No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Compote, drinking glass or something else?  (Read 1120 times)

Offline juliet papa bravo

• Members
Compote, drinking glass or something else?
« on: June 15, 2011, 09:29:48 PM »
Hi all
I hope someone can help me identify this item which I found in one of my granny's boxes in the loft. It's approximately 11cm tall and the bowl is 5.5 x 8.5cm. The bowl is almost rectangular but does still bulge like a wine glass below the rim. The glass makes a nice chime when tapped but has quite a few bubbles and other small flaws which maybe indicate it's not a quality piece

I have no idea if it is a compte, a wine glass or something completely different and would really appreciate any help.

Thanks very much.  JPB.

Mod: overlarge images resized. Click to view larger versions on Photobucket

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Compote, drinking glass or something else?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 06:36:37 AM »
Don't know, but Leni has something similar http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,28853.0.html

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 07:23:04 AM »
How about a sugar bowl?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 08:35:15 AM »
Probably too small JP

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 10:56:38 AM »
It's for jam.
Have you looked very carefully at the base, turning it around in different lights to see if there's an etched mark? Possibly in the middle of the base?
I'm pretty sure this is a Webb-Corbett shape. I suspect I've given the ones I had to my brother's OH - I can't find them. :pb:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 12:17:56 PM »
Thank you very much for your help everyone. I have looked at Leni's and it's the most similar design I have seen to mine but not the same shape or pattern. Both Leni's items are marked as Webb-Corbett but mine has no makers mark at all.

I suspected it could be a preserve dish of some sort but expected to see a lid, I assume it was never meant to have one?

Any idea on age? Most of the other stuff in the box was from between the 1890s to 1920s.

Thanks again. JPB.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 12:24:14 PM »
No, no lid - it would be impossible to fit to the rim!
I forgot to say  :hi: welcome!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 01:35:15 PM »
Probably about the same as as Leni's, as it's not a very common style, so probably had a short life. Yours may even be Webb Corbett, just unmarked.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 02:14:42 PM »
It's unusual for WC to be unmarked - but I'm fairly sure all the bits I've seen which have been squashed into square or rectangular shapes when hot, such as this is, have been WC, often with "arty" sorts of cutting rather than traditional. Does that help anybody with dates at all? Possibly circa '30s - '50s????????

(cut glass is not my thing, Juliet - I'm simply getting dragged into it, silently screaming :help: because nowadays you just can't escape the stuff  >:D .)
I do quite like the jam dishes though. I find uses for them. I've got pink plastic measuring scoops for the cats' food - I sit Pippin's scoop in a Stuart one, Muzzy's in a Harbridge one.  :thup:

The Harbridge one was my grandmother's, but with so many goings-ons recently with folk having far too many grandmothers, each with several birthdays a year, and every other bit of glass seems to have been "grandma's" - it's getting to be a..... dodgy sort of source to mention. I don't think I'd actually bother saying it was Grandma's - it might be more likely to make folk think I'm telling porkies than lend an air of authenticity to age!

Juliet - none of that is aimed at you - I'm referring to various kerfuffles which have arisen over time, before you arrived here!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 03:07:15 PM »
Thanks again for the help. If it's 30-50s it's probably my mums rather than grannys. I am embarrassed to say that last time we moved house was about 16 years ago and we still have boxes that have never been unpacked. We decided to sort out the loft conversion a few months ago, as it was impossible to get past the top of the staircase so every few weeks, we bring a box downstairs and sort it as 1) Useful to keep 2) Rubbish bound for the bin 3) In the charity shop donation box/bag 4) Ebay-able. This particular box yielded a ton of cutlery that went to the local Oxfam, a couple of pairs of tongs which went to ebay, a load of junk which went in the bin ... and the mystery glass.

The glass has sat around for a few weeks and since then another box, (this time my OHs from the 70s), has come downstairs. When asking advice on some of the contents of that one, someone pointed me to a couple of forums to ask about modern pottery and coins and I thought  Hmmm why not look for a glass forum for the other thing. So here I am!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand