No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: new versions of older glass vases  (Read 1432 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
new versions of older glass vases
« on: June 19, 2011, 04:35:48 PM »
In the last few weeks at the car boot I spotted a large and very beautiful battuto cut vase, picked it up and on the bottom it had Made In China Marks and Spencers.
Then this morning I picked up a lovely ball shaped vase with a short neck that looked as though it was constructed of all the chunks  off the Bo Borgstrom Bark vase (I think that is what it is called), in a gorgeous pear green just like mine - and the lady told me it was from Marks and Spencers.  I didn't buy it but I had picked it up wondering if it was an Aseda vase perhaps.  There are some nice but recent pieces out there, that are going to be confusing me in the future I see :-\
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: new versions of older glass vases
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 04:48:27 PM »
You do have to keep your eyes peeled in all sorts of places to see what's coming out. I've recently seen a whole load of battuto cut stuff - Chinese, in TKMaxx - which I find to be a very good place to see what sort of stuff might end up on antique stalls and other places which sell collectable stuff.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 09:06:03 PM »
glass is all things to all men/women  -  and as has been said here before, much new material is just as attractive as the older pieces (which they copy, sometimes).   But isn't the point that if we do want to be able to determine whether something is older, shouldn't we be using our skills to look for those clues that are there and waiting to be found.......i.e. surface wear on the extremities, internal wear/staining, quality of the glass (bubbles and imperfections etc.), colours etc. that would not have been used on older pieces - a good quality pontil mark etc.....just some thoughts :).   

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 07:50:10 AM »
Yes but the problem is that the clues themselves aren't necessarily time/age specific, even wear and pontil marks. You need to have a much broader overview of glass and the current market and wider knowledge base to make even an educated guess by putting the clues together.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 08:38:37 AM »
And I've got at least one bit from circa '69 in mint condition, not one smidgin of age-related wear on the base - and a load of much newer bits with loads of wear.
Given the interest these days in a lot of modern and contemporary glass, one needs to know the difference between the real thing and "look-alikes".
It is best to have a good overview of as much as you can, from museums and art galleries to TKMaxx!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 10:07:09 AM »
I think both Sue and Christine have hit the nail on the head  and along with that, I would add that the only thing left is 'instinct'.   I only have a handful of true tat as most of what I was attracted to when I first started collecting turned out to be Sklo Union pieces fortunately.  Sometimes it is very difficult to tell. The pieces I saw genuinely were lovely pieces, nicely made with no overt eek factors.  I was suspicious of the battuto vase because it was so large.  But the 'bark like' vase was fab - I was tempted I have to say... and I regret not buying it now as it would have looked great, but I needed to save the pennies to spend on the rubbish 'spitoon style' bowl I bought on the other thread  ;D
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 10:21:12 AM »
I had in fact just typed a reply, although Sue just pipped me to the post.    I do appreciate that a comprehensive overview quite obviously gives a better all round knowledge of glass - no one would doubt that  -  and the more I re-read the comments on this thread am coming to the conclusion that this issue is more a case of modern quality production versus modern cheaper copies of similar designs, I could be wrong of course.           However, indulge me........I will post what I had in fact typed, as feel still has some relevance.
Actually, this is third attempt  -  m just pushed me out again. :thud:

"It's probably a disadvantage if someone is in the habit of buying material similar to those pieces mentioned already - from what I hear much of this seems to be copied (although haven't been in TK Maxx for years).     Don't know about others, but I always (consciously or otherwise) assess every piece I buy, and have made few mistakes (when determining whether new/old) in comparison with the quantity bought.      Although it's rare for me to know exactly what it is that I'm buying, I almost always know that it has age is not recent - I'd envy anyone who knew always exactly what they were buying at the time of the deal.        Perhaps it is just that there is far less copying of the type of glass that I collect.  But coming back to the point about 'reading' a piece of glass for clues.              The attached pictures are of a clear/blue tinted, ribbed/wrythen bubbled smallish lamp base, with bottom hole, from yesterday morning's boot sale: cost £1.         I was assessing........old style brass, stained, fittings (with ceramic insert saying MEM Made in England), and attached with plaster of paris), bakelite on/off switch (showing much wear from use), noticable wear/small chips to lamp base, abrasion to the outer sides of the ribs, dirt/grime lodged deeply between the ribs, and the flex (now removed) heavily nocotine stained.      Haven't a clue as to origin, or exact date, but based on age related factors am thinking somewhere between 1940 and 1960, and although (probably) of no value, quite attractive.      HOWEVER, if this had plastic fittings, no age related wear, etc. etc. I would simply have left behind  -  the point being..................that originality always has a greater value than a cheap copy.        I'm well aware that these comments are slightly off topic re the subject heading, but the point is you don't need to be a Phd. from the V. & A. to begin making common sense assessments of most pieces of glass (to determine age, not necessarily attribution) and it really does get better the longer you collect.     To never make any effort to understand the difference between old and new - simply because it's deemed necessary to have an encyclopedic knowledge of glass plus many years of collecting experience, is to miss a great part of the enjoyment.   Incidentally, anyone recognize my lamp base (and please don't say it's  :or:)  - and apologies for putting pictures on someone else's thread."         

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 10:55:08 AM »
I think what I'm saying is that you have to know/learn how to put the clues together, as you have done. You don't get that without some sort of study, and we're not talking encyclopaedic knowledge. Now I am fairly confident that your lamp is Murano and not worthless (damage being acceptable) from the style of the glass, and think that the fittings were added here. I might be wrong, but I reached those conclusions from the information you gave and many hours of general overall study.

Clues don't always work. I assessed this as 1960/70s Italian http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=26, a very reasonable assumption and one that no-one argued with until Craig dragged a vague memory up (The mark is very hard to see).

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 11:03:19 AM »
Yes Christine, but you still assessed it as "something wonderful" - and you were wise enough to grab it! :thup:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 11:15:17 AM »
Sue, I think that is a combination of assessment and 'instinct' though.  You can assess all you like but that just makes it into a science and takes the 'art' out of it for me.  Sometimes, I just go on 'I love it' and then assess, and even if found wanting my heart overrides my head and I still buy it  ;D
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand