No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help Identifying Cruet  (Read 684 times)

Offline NikFantastic

• Members
Help Identifying Cruet
« on: July 22, 2011, 04:38:41 AM »
I am trying to identify the maker of this cruet. I believe this is a blown glass cruet, with a stopper.  Black handle. Painted stripes of red, blue, and yellow on the body. And some stripes on the stopper.  Bottom has a polished pontil mark with the number 13 painted.  I have looked a lot, and for a long time to find a picture of one like mine, but haven't.  Closest thing I have found, is Tango Glass pictures, that have a similar black handle, but I don't think it's that.  With it being numbered and all, I thought there should be more of them out there...at least 12 more :)  I think when I bought it the person said Czech and deco in the description, but I don't remember for sure.  Thank you.  Even if you don't know, thanks for looking.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Help Identifying Cruet
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 07:21:14 AM »
Welcome to the board. The number will be the decorator's mark; a lot of them were homeworkers and were on piece work, so they needed to mark their work. It may help to tell us where you are and how tall the cruet is.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline NikFantastic

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 05:15:49 PM »
Thank you, Christine. That is interesting to know about the numbering. I am in the USA. In 2004 I bought this on Ebay. I have since kept a print out of my purchase from back then. The seller was: oldbostonian  item #3718636322. Location: Brockton, Massachusetts, United States.  So that is likely where the piece came from, to me that is.  The height with the stopper is 16cm or 6 1/4 inches.  I remember asking this person more about it and he/she didn't know much.  In the description they put, Circa 1935.  I bought it back then with the hopes of doing my own fun sleuthing/research, but always hit dead ends.  Thanks for taking some time and writing.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 05:44:04 PM »
In that case it might very well be American or Czech, even from somewhere else. What is is not is Tango glass, as however you define it it is coloured glass nit enamelled glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline NikFantastic

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 07:06:12 AM »
I am getting a bit closer. Finding that Anchor Hocking Glass made pieces from the 20s-30s that used enameled lines in a similar way, similar color sometimes. I've found some pics using the keywords: "hocking banded ring". I've found interesting decanters. Seemed heavier. Most of the ones I have found are heavy mold made things, but I have found lighter thin tumblers with lines.  The other difference to the one I have -- on the Hocking pieces they don't use as many lines and the lines are more consistant. Mine has different size lines on the same piece. One interesting thing I have looked at on my piece, is, the lines stop and start again where the handle is.  I have not found any numbers on the bottoms of any of these Hocking glass pictures.

This was the interesting picture that had me looking in this Hocking direction where I found more:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/herroyalmajesty/4715469286/in/photostream/

So I looked at many many more pictures after that.  And, after all of this looking, I am leaning towards it being something other than Hocking. Mine seems more playful with the lines. Anyway, that's what I've been doing. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand