No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID request for pink jug please  (Read 4662 times)

bfg

ID request for pink jug please
« on: March 20, 2012, 07:07:06 PM »
...and this is the pink jug for ID , with hand painted floral decoration, white alabaster type handle and has a wide flat polished pontil

stands 3 inches high to the handle, again opaque pink glass but in this artificial light it makes the vase in my other posting look redder, if you know what I mean

many thanks, Mel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: ID request for pink jug please
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 07:32:51 PM »
also opaline and absolutely gorgeous  :)  I don't know who made it though, sorry.  Although it's very interesting with the white opaline handle, a great contrast.  I'm sure someone will be able to help more.  Can you get a closer pic of the enamelling on it as well please?  I'd love to see that in more detail.  And a top view of the jug to see how the spout and rim are curved?
Thanks  :)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 08:35:01 PM »
Did Stevens and Williams ever decorate their opaline glass?

bfg

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 04:37:54 PM »
sorry for the tardy reply, life has a habit of interfering with my glass obsession  :-\

m, I've attached some more photos - just quick snaps but should show you what you are looking for and Keith, I have found very little on S&W opaline but I'm still looking

thanks for the replies so far   :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 05:24:40 PM »
Stevens and Williams alabaster is referred to as Alabaster I think usually(may or may not be right but when you google that seems to be a key word)...but there is precious little information on it.  If you google Stevens and Williams Rose du Barry which is what their pink was called, you may get some hits, mostly of lidded pots and wine/cordial glasses.  The pink of your jug doesn't look quite as rose pink as S & W to me but I couldn't say definitely not.

I wanted a pic from the top to see whether it had been 'pinched' at the top sides to form the spout which makes a kind of trefoil shape from the top.  The handle has been applied from the top down I think?  does that make it an older piece?
I haven't found any decorated S &W alabaster but who knows - it doesn't seem to be well documented at all to be honest.   The Steuben site has better documentation than anything I could find. 
Could it be French? What is that decoration?  Is it vine leaves and grapes (or hops? hides behind sofa before someone tells me that is not what hops look like  ;D ) edited to add, forget the hops - I've just realised that what I am seeing as brown enamel on my screen is in fact gold  :-[
Just more questions from re reading my post  ;D sorry.
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 05:45:42 PM »
M's brown/gold issue made me look closer. The gold is over yellow, which is typically Bohemian, though I don't know that it's solely Bohemian. I'm inclined to think the shape is a little crude for Stevens and Williams too.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 07:19:23 PM »
Mel — Both Janet and I had a close look and discussed it over dinner.   While we are fairly certain that it's S&W/RB or Empoli, we're not at all sure which.

Ignoring the decoration, which could be by anyone, we concluded:

• Pontil finish more S&W/RB,
  • Handle more Empoli,
  • Pink OK with me for either — Janet doesn't like it for S&W/RB Alabaster,
  • Shape OK with me for either — Janet thinks it's more Italian.
  • Bernard C.  8)
    Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Paul S.

• Members
    « Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 08:07:15 PM »
    According to 'The Crystal Years'.........the S. & W. use of the name 'Rose du Barry' has nothing to do with 'Alabaster.    It was in fact this factory's trade name for their variation of Burmese - which was a name they couldn't use for obvious reasons.       S. & W.'s Rose du Barry looks just like much of the regular Burmese even down to the gilding - although whether it 'glows' I don't know (I need a piece ;))
    I'm sure we've been through much of this argument in recent times when I posted a blue piece, which Nigel attributed definitely to S.& W., and that piece has a concave ground/polished pontil mark, and doubtless that is somewhere on the Board's Search facility - it wasn't more than 5 - 7 months back, I'm sure.        Looking at the illustration in the book of the S.& W. 'rose' alabaster - it really does look a delicate shade of rose  -and not pink like this piece.
    As regards enamelled decoration, the book says..............."The output was undecorated except with enamels, and was sold as plain coloured to the Birmingham silversmiths for insets and as vases for flower stands".       
    Steuben and Richardsons also produced alabaster  -  Richardsons apparently looking virtually identical to S.&W. (but I don't know if they offered a 'rose').         Carder produced something similar to rose, and called it 'Rosaline', but he seems not to achieved quite S.&W.'s delicate shade of 'rose'.
    I'm quoting the above in relation to S.&W.  -  I have zero knowledge of other Continental offerings, or of the Steuben material - and apologies if it seems like cheating - just quoting from a book.

P.S.    Anyway, now we know where Alum Bay got their design idea from for their little milk jug you see quite often ;)
    P.P.S   -  do have a look through the search for the previous discussion - it may offer some more useful information. 

Offline flying free

• Members
      • UK
    « Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 08:34:26 PM »
    I was referencing from page 108 Charles Hajdamach's 20th century British Glass.  Presumably he is incorrect in his description of the opaline covered pieces in plate 213 then?
    The plate shows 3 opaline covered lidded pieces the two taller of which he refers to as vases.
    He says
    'Alabaster bowl and vases by Stevens and Williams, 1920s.  The pink vase  is the firm's 'rose-du-barry' while the white vase is their 'eau-de-nil'. '
    I'd be interested to know which is correct to describe Stevens and Williams opaline pieces in this range then.
    It's difficult to tell colours from a screen but I would say that is not Stevens and Williams pink in their alabaster range as it is not an intense enough rose pink colour, but I could be wrong  :) The two things that do look like S&W to me are the large pontil mark (one of the pieces I had until recently had a very large pontil mark like that) and the flat top on the top of the handle which reminds me of the flat tops they put on their knops on their lidded bathroom bowls and covered vases.
    Paul could you please link your id from Nigel thread as I have done a number of searches on Stevens and Williams alabaster and that has not come up.  Thanks :)
    m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
    « Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 09:11:11 PM »
    omg at this time of night you make such a request already ;) ;)          oh well, here goes another late night then.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
    Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
    link to glass encyclopedia
    Visit the Online Glass Museum
    link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand