No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ysart (?) butterfly  (Read 3481 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Ysart (?) butterfly
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 02:26:30 PM »
 ;D

It must be very lonely collecting without other collectors to share and appreciate collections with. Sharing with others who appreciate it is the greatest joy of collecting - making friends with similar afflictions to yourself!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline w8happiness

• Members
  • τὰ ἐφ' ἡμῖν
    • paperweights
    • Tyrol,Austria,Europe
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 02:32:04 PM »

What does anyone think of the attribution of this butterfly paperweight?.  I have my doubts.

Alan

Hello Alan, the first listing contains:  "RARE PAUL YSART BASKETWORK AND BUTTERFLY PAPERWEIGHT", the others
have "PAPERWEIGHTS SIGNED WITH PY"- this makes a small but important difference, I think!
kind regards Erhard
EJM

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 03:34:23 PM »

Hi Erhard.

I agree - the first advert misleads the bidder, but the others let the bidder mislead themselves!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline w8happiness

• Members
  • τὰ ἐφ' ἡμῖν
    • paperweights
    • Tyrol,Austria,Europe
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 04:06:21 PM »
Hi Alan,
yes!! that's true- the next big exit from those misleading highways sound like "Please decide for yourself, I am not a paperweight expert" -
I am astonished how many fake PY weights have surfaced recently (also in Germany)- some with "correct" "fake" attribution, some without...

kind regards Erhard
EJM

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 07:16:57 AM »
I remember a time before kids and school fees when i could get to Swinderby (for those that do not know, it is a huge antique fair close to Newark and in Lincolnshire)  and had money to spend.  Probably nearly 10 years ago, and there was a man there selling PY weights. However, I think he was not passing them as genuine, but as "fakes". He told a story of having bought many of them some time previously believing them to be genuine.  I think they were reasonably priced.  I should have bought some!   
I googled Ramon More but nothing obvious came up. 
Martin

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 07:36:13 AM »
aha
Seller also listing a John Deacons
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LIMITED-EDITION-JOHN-DEACONS-SEAHORSE-PAPERWEIGHT-MARKED-1-1-see-pics-/321082357510   as coming from the same Ramon More collection

in the description for this it states
"It was designed by David More and made for his grandfather who owned the Birches Hotel in Crieff in Perthshire, Scotland"
That is an interesting geographical connection!!
A cursory search shows the hotel being on the market in 1984 and currently being a care home.  So if the owner pre 1984 was Ramon More he would have been well placed to amass a good collection
Martin

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 05:18:11 PM »

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 06:06:43 PM »

Hi.

If the collection belonged to a hotel owner in Perthshire, as indicated above, then perhaps he got them in Scotland, maybe direct from the maker?

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 07:00:14 PM »
Hi Alan
Could be I suppose, the quality of the vase and flowers in this latest one is pretty bad, I'd be surprised that anyone that knew Paul's work thought it was genuine.

Nick

Offline w84it

• Members
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 06:21:53 PM »
The plot thickens - the butterfly and other listings by the seller mentioned above have mysteriously been removed from ebay.   Wonder why?    ???
Weightforit   -  mad about marbries, crowns and swirls ...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand