No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID possible Pavel Hlava vase  (Read 496 times)

Offline OX151

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Czech and Scandinavian glass
    • England
ID possible Pavel Hlava vase
« on: March 19, 2013, 07:35:19 PM »
Hi. New member in need of some advice.  I have found a possible Pavel Hlava exbor vase in a local antique shop. The woman in the shop is asking £55 for it.   It is the same design as the one in the image i've attached. The only thing is there is no acid etched Exbor mark on it.  Is it legit and they just didn't mark some of them, or could it be a later copy?  .

Thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: ID possible Pavel Hlava vase
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 08:34:29 PM »
Welcome to the GMB.  :)

Not all Exbor pieces are marked, and some pieces are marked so faintly, it's almost impossible to see. If it's very much like the one in the photos you've attached, I think you've found yourself a good piece. In case you do purchase it, please come back and show us a picture.

Anik

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 08:12:34 AM »
A number of the older Exbor designs by Pavel Hlava are now recently reproduced in fairly large quantities, so especially if it doesn't have a lot of telltale signs of age, expect it to be a modern reproduction and then decide if that is worth the asking price for you.

It's still a beautiful design, of course and as a collector of design I have bought one or two Hlave reproductions in that price range myself, but always knowing that it wasn't a period piece, with all that that implicates.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 03:16:35 PM »
You can find modern production of these pieces in the 2009 Egermann catalogue on Jindrich's great site  (www.cs-sklo.cz) here: Egermann cut and facetted

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand