No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Harbridge Crystal  (Read 8875 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Harbridge Crystal
« on: July 28, 2013, 10:24:33 AM »
We now have added to the 'Glass Reference Websites' a very useful file giving brief histories of Watford and Harbridge Crystal factories, which Anne has posted from details taken from this February's foyer exhibition at Cambridge Glass Fair.       Exhibition pieces were loaned by Pauline and Maurice Wimpory.
The page from the Cambridge Fair includes only three pix of glass, so thought it might be an idea to shove a couple more on here - BOTH OF WHICH ARE EXAMPLES FROM HARBRIDGE CRYSTAL.                   
Unfortunately, when I found the biscuit barrel it didn't have its lid (by mistake I've now given it away)  -  plus a vase found in recent days, the height of which is 5.75" (145mm).              The vase is remarkably clean...........so often older vases have acquired the dreaded 'bloom' from being used.
The Cambridge page also provides images of paper labels for both factories  -  but since these go missing, often, I've added a pic of the acid backstamp for Harbridge, which is on the underside of the vase..............there was neither a label or backstamp on the biscuit barrel.

Cutting on the vase shown here lacks the more strident boldness of pattern as seen in the biscuit barrel and the more distinctive designs on the Cambridge page, so maybe it's a product more from the latter part of the factories life i.e. mid to late 1950's, but only guessing.       
Harbridge discontinued making glass around 1957 - although it appears their blanks were subsequently made by Webb Corbett for a few years afterwards  -  whether Harbridge continued with just the cutting of designs or whether W/Corbett did that as well, I don't know.               
This vase does show what is apparently a particular Harbridge feature, which is the vertical 'V' or diamond-shaped cuts which occur on thier vases and bowl rims - most other producers used U-shaped thumbnail cuts. 
The cutting on the biscuit barrel reminds me of the earlier Kny cutting style from Stuart, where the curved mitres are edged for light catching effect.

Would be very grateful if anyone is able to provide a date and possible pattern/design name for the vase  -   thanks for looking. :)

Harbridge were no better than the other factories in permanently marking the glass they made. They used an etched backstamp,' Harbridge England', and black foiled labels with silver lettering. Harbridge made a range of blanks that were not copied by others and this aids identification. They also edged vase and bowl rims with vertical 'V' or diamond-shaped cuts whereas most other producers used U-shaped thumbnail cuts.

Would be very interested if someone can give me a

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Harbridge Crystal
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 10:27:23 AM »
sorry, can the Mods please tidy up the ending of my text............. delete please all wording after the smiling face  -  thanks. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 06:59:03 PM »
thought it might be of interest to add picture of another cut glass design (vase) from the Harbridge factory.
Height is about 7" (c. 180 mm.)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 07:17:52 PM »
I've got a Harbridge Crystal footed jam thingy. It was my Grandma's.
I suppose you'd like me to try to photgraph it...  ::)

The camera is giving me the evil eye right now, warning me that any attempt by me to use it will result in failure and the sun is only significant by its absence.

I found an old ale tankard for you Paul! (I still feel I owe you something for all those plinths.) It's rather a nice shape, with a big wide foot which I think is a continuation of the body. It has big oval lenses cut into it, and is engraved with 0.3l, towards the top, (probably not british?) some fancy monogrammed initials and the date 29/9 1887. Big thick handle. Heavy. It's a nice thing. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 08:36:29 PM »
Hi Sue  -  I'm still angry for parting with the biscuit barrel  -  I shove so much out to the charity shops, and let that go by mistake :(
My examples are the only three I've seen in a few years, and I do look at most cut glass that I come across, so this factory's production is obviously uncommon, despite having been made for several decades from the 1920's.    It seem that initially they made only blanks for other factories to cut, and then there was apparently an enforced break in production due to hostilities in 1939/45 - so overall perhaps their own designs saw little daylight.    According to Hayhurst and Benson they did make some ranges with a contemporary feel  -  and I'm tempted to suggest that this latest vase might be in that category.

Credit for the above information goes to the above authors' booklet 'Art Deco To Post Modernism - A Legacy of British Art Deco Glass'

Yes, I'd like you to add a snapshot please of the jam pot to this thread, if possible - and without any jam inside. ;)

I'm very happy that you've found me a tankard, and that you bought it with me in mind - I have a passion for ales and tankards with cut printies/lenses, and looking forward to seeing it, but no rush.    I'll send you an off-Board email tomorrow, so please don't rush to post just yet.

sorry to hear that the camera is on the blink - I think ebay does have some very reasonably priced pre-owned ones that aren't too expensive.           I'm going to see a Bailey retrospective next Saturday at the Nat. Port. Gallery in town  -  lots of pix of Marie there, I hope ;) ;)

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 09:30:23 PM »
Not sure where I got this info from but it may help.

Harbridge Crystal
Harbridge Crystal Glass Co, Stourbridge, England (1924 - 1966)   Cut, engraved & cased glass. Leased space from Webb & Corbett 1955, from which date glass production ceased & the company only did decorating work.  Finally absorbed by Webb & Corbett in 1957 (2 designs registered 1934 & 1936).  Harbridge Crystal, Platts Works, Stourbridge dates from 1928 to the fifties, when it was taken over by Webb & Corbett.  They produced mainly traditional cut glass and blanks for other cutting workshops.  Quality, both of the blank and cutting, is always excellent; at first sight I find it difficult sometimes to distinguish it from Walsh.  In the late '30s they introduced several mildly contemporary patterns, loosely based on the new styles by such as Murray, Farquharson, and Kay.  You will find one or two illustrated in each of Dodsworth, Benson, and Benson & Hayhurst.  They seem to be fairly scarce as I have yet to find any examples of them myself.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 07:47:04 AM »
thanks Ross  -  always useful to have additional information.

I was unaware of the two Registered designs that you've mentioned - but have now looked in The Glass Association 'Blue Book' and they are indeed included in the years you indicate.       796368 was Registered on 15/09/34, and 810857 on 11/03/36 - so when I next visit The National Archives I'll take some pix of both designs and add to this thread.                        Someone has obviously done their homework in checking through the list of 'Blue Book' Registrations.
Wish now that I had seen the full exhibition at Cambridge.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 11:55:07 AM »
The camera is abolutley grand Paul - it's me and my eyes that aren't working properly.  ::)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 09:48:59 PM »
coming back to the two Registrations mentioned by Ross  -  I've now taken some pix from The National Archives as attached.             Not sure what to make of 796368 - could be  grapefruit bowl - it appears to be undecorated.........and 810857 which is circular, is probably a bowl of sorts.        Unfortunately, the archives don't provide any dimensions for either, so if anyone can add more info that would be useful. :)         

Offline LinzC

• Members
    • NE England Glass History
    • UK
    • Heart of Glass
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 04:27:21 PM »
Just found this thread whilst looking for info about Harbridge Crystal myself (apparently they used to make trinket sets)

I have a couple of adverts from the Pottery Gazette for them but this one, from June 1958, seems to have the same pattern as your vase.

Ed: Just realised I loaded the advert in PNG format, attached JPG focussing on decanter & glass only.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand