No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Enamelled Beaker with Deer Hunting Scene  (Read 639 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Enamelled Beaker with Deer Hunting Scene
« on: August 23, 2013, 11:02:37 AM »
I suspect this is a beaker rather than a small vase, although I'm not 100% convinced either way at present .

Consists of an enamelled deer hunting scene, which rather oddly portrays the huntsman with no face, just eyes and also no hands. I don't think its due to the enamel wearing, it appears to have started life like this.

The majority of the weight of the vase/beaker is in the base, which is roughly 3cm high. The base has proven very hard to capture in the photos, there is a small very light circular mark to the centre of the base, I presume this would have been mould-blown rather than free blown.

The top rim has has been cut and polished. The beaker/vase measures 5.25 inches tall.

Any thoughts on age and origin gratefully received.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline uphoosier

• Members
Re: Enamelled Beaker with Deer Hunting Scene
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 08:27:50 PM »
The decoration, especially the deer, have a Persian look to me.  Could the unfinished hunter be waiting for the buyer to specify the appropriate skin color for the intended market?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 08:45:32 PM »
I hate to be a doubting Thomas Greg..........is the decoration enamelled i.e. hand painted onto the glass.........suppose it's not a transfer by any chance? :)
The finish on the rim does at least mean it's from the Continental side of the water, and it might just be that the lightness of the pontil scar could indicate one of those hollow pontil rods, which presumably snap more easily and leave less of a scar.         Just a thought. :)

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 10:01:28 PM »
Thanks both for taking a look.

Paul, I think doubting Thomas may have a point regarding the decoration  :). I did initially wonder if the outline may have been printed and then possibly filled. However, looking at the colouring it is certainly very block like in appearance, so must have been transfer printed. Looking at the decoration in the light, there is some fading that has occurred, although clearly not antique, was still curious as its possible age. I suspect it origins lie somewhere in central Europe.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
those bubbles also worry me Greg - almost a bit over-antiqued.         I suspect you're right about the geographical origin, and I'd suggest quite recent, but given an older look.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 06:27:58 AM »
The decoration, especially the deer, have a Persian look to me.  Could the unfinished hunter be waiting for the buyer to specify the appropriate skin color for the intended market?

Sorry not very likely. The costume is 17th ct. Dutch or French with feathered tricorn hat and musket, the deer are also from that time frame.  The glass technique is definitely early to mid 20, the decoration is a line transfer which has been filled in with transparent enamel. My guess is Bohemian, circa 1920s.

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 04:20:10 PM »
Thanks for taking a look Ivo, good to get your thoughts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand