No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Edward Moore RD.58275 - jug & sugar in "Caramel"  (Read 5295 times)

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
Re: Edward Moore RD.58275 - jug & sugar in "Caramel"
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 05:47:07 PM »
Hello Paul

could well be wrong, but I remain to be convinced that Neil's pieces are Moore's 'eau de nil'...........

I am unclear as to whether you are questioning if Neil's pieces are Moore or if they are "eau de nil"?  Regardless, here is a link to an ebay auction with an "eau de nil" sugar basin in the same pattern as Anne originally posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161145890995

I do have photos of a cream and sugar in this pattern and colour but they are not mine to share unfortunately.

Sid

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 06:11:34 PM »
I will contact the ebay seller and seek permission for the re-use of the image of the eau-de-nil sugar on the GMB.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 07:48:17 PM »
thanks Sid  -  I was being sceptical about the issue of colour...................   'eau de nil' seems to be an elusive colour for which to find verification in the books  -  as far as I'm aware none of my volumes includes a colour picture of this invention.
Neil has described his two pieces as 'turquoise, which presumably must mean they are shaded more to the blue than green, and looking at them I didn't get an immediate feeling they appeared sufficiently green enough for what I assumed 'eau de nil' must look like.
I can only repeat the words of Ed. Moore himself having first created this, when he said......"glass of a soft shade of green colour"......although I know we've commented earlier about the problems of colour variation.
I don't doubt the pattern is Moore.

As I've said, I don't have any pieces of this colour, and may be getting carried away with what my mind thinks it should be seeing - also am aware that other contributors to this thread are almost certainly better informed about pressed glass and its colours than I am.

Being permanently a 'doubting thomas', I'd still like to see a comparison with Moore's ordinary blue Vitro-Porcelain - but will admit that the piece in your ebay link does have more of a 'celadon' appearance. :)

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 11:28:33 PM »
The colour of these things is tricky to capture in a photo as the flash makes them look more blue than they really are. I would say they were pretty close to eau de nil.

Now for the bad news - I donated these pieces to charity some months ago (sorry Sid!)

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 12:59:28 AM »
 :(

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 09:51:14 AM »
 :o             long time I guess since the Nile was that shad of bluey-green. ;)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 08:19:49 PM »
I was led to believe that both of these little posy vases were by Edward Moore. The each measure 7cm x 8cm. Neither has any identifying markings.

(Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by *jonglos).

Can anyone confirm that they are, indeed by Edward Moore?

If so, then the opaque example is presumably in their eau-de-Nil glass.

Incidentally, if anyone is still unsure what colour eau-de-Nil is normally thought to be, then have a look at the colour sample at
http://www.littlegreene.com/eau-de-nil

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
thanks  -  I had in fact already looked at that particular colour patch, which was what prompted me to consider that Neil's pieces were perhaps too blue to be 'eau de nil'.             Certainly this little posy does have a 'soft green' look, and is much nearer to what I think of generally as the appearance of celadon. 

sorry, but can't help with confirmation these green pieces are Moore.          I saw the same design yesterday, somewhere, but it was a clear colour like your blue version.         

Offline exislegirl

• Members
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2014, 10:39:05 PM »
Hello Agincourt17, I have a few of those pots in slag glass. Here is a link to some photos, there are two - one a delicious green and the other a vivid blue:

https://picasaweb.google.com/103416468472622115928/ShowTell2?authkey=Gv1sRgCOvir_2iz7Pj-QE#5973335807435812578

Hopefully you will be able to click through and see all images for both pieces.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 09:42:44 AM »
Thank you, exislegirl, for the link.

I also have the posy vase in a bright blue transparent glass, a colour more associated with Greener and Co. rather than Edward Moore, though I have still to see any example with a Greener trademark. It may well be that they are made by someone else entirely, of course.

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand