No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Edward Moore RD.58275 - jug & sugar in "Caramel"  (Read 5294 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Edward Moore RD.58275 - jug & sugar in "Caramel"
« on: December 01, 2013, 11:19:47 AM »
For interest, two very nice pieces made by Edward Moore & Co. both with impressed RD.58275 (7th October 1886), in their "Caramel" colour.
The footed bowl is described as a "sugar" on a website of English glass, but is shown in flint. 
I've never come across this colour before.  Its quite delicious ;)

Please feel free to put it in the Gallery :)
Anne E.B

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Edward Moore RD.58275 - jug & sugar in "Caramel"
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 12:08:16 PM »
very nice indeed Anne - Mr. Green here :)            Lattimore shows a picture of the sugar in caramel, and says 'rare'.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 02:59:35 PM »
Very desirable, Anne.

Here is how they usually seen - clear glass, with a comport and two-handled bowl in the same pattern.

(Permission for the re-use of the image of the creamer on the GMB granted by trebor3944, and the pedestal sugar or sweetmeat by greenpeace2010).

The only other colour that I have seen Edward Moore pieces in is an opaque white.

Fred.

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 06:57:26 PM »
Moore also made an interesting blue-green opaque glass.

Sid

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 09:04:37 PM »
thanks Sid.              According to Slack, Moore patented two new colours in March 1887  -  one was patent No. 4822 for the colour which we now call caramel brown - presumably the same colour of Anne's pieces above.

The other patent is No. 4821 and was described by Ed. Moore as "an opaque glass of a soft shade of green ....similar to what is termed 'Celadon' in porcelain manufacture...........   I believe he later called this colour 'Eau de Nil', and the specification shows this to have contained uranium oxide.

Might this be the colour you mention?

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 10:35:50 PM »
I guess you mean this colour - I originally thought these matched a Molineaux Webb pattern but all the evidence now points to Moore.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 09:27:32 AM »
nice pieces Neil, but regret I'm unable to say if your colour is the 'blue-green' which Sid mentions  -  don't believe I've ever seen it in the flesh.
If Edward Moore likened the shade of his patented colour to celadon, then possibly not.                     
I'd always thought of celadon as verring more to green, and this appears to be confirmed by the fact that Moore seemed to settle on calling his new colour 'Eau de Nil'.               I could be wrong, but in view of the uranium content, then presumably it would fluoresce, and might be more of a pale yellowish green, but really not sure.

As Sid had mentioned this colour, was wondering if he is able to show a piece :) 

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 01:47:30 PM »
And of course, Moore made uranium (yellow-green "vaseline") too.

Nice pieces, Anne. Congratulations!

GT
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 05:37:46 PM »
Hello

I don't have an example to post because Neil (curse him! LOL!) outbid me for the set he posted above but that is the colour I was talking about.   Both the caramel and the blue/green can be found in a range of shades indicating that colour control was a challenge for Moore.

Sid

p.s. Neil, I still have room for that set on my shelves ... and that terrible colour clashes with all that Manchester glass... and Christmas is coming...

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 10:27:03 AM »
could well be wrong, but I remain to be convinced that Neil's pieces are Moore's 'eau de nil'...........I'm well aware that colour control was an imperfect art, which is why factories had clauses to protect them from disputes over variations.               This matter is complicated by the fact that Ed. Moore, like most pressed manufacturers at the time, did apparently produce a blue Vitro-Porcelain that, presumably, would have looked like Neil's pieces.                      Perhaps someone is able to post a picture of Moore's blue Vitro-Porcelain (known provenance), so that a comparison can be made  -  it would be surprising perhaps if batch colour variation had overlapped to the extent that on occasions 'eau de nil' and 'blue' were indistinguishable entirely.

With apologies to Anne E. B. for digressing from that delicious caramel ;)           My OH makes a Caramel desert (sort of blancmange textured thingy) - scrumptious - I could sit and eat half a doz. in one go :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand