No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: milk glass jug Sowerby? help please  (Read 2875 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
milk glass jug Sowerby? help please
« on: February 11, 2014, 10:21:54 PM »
I picked this up today i thought at first it was pottery but i'm pretty sure it's glass i can not find any info on it, can anyone help?, there were two other creamers with it i think both are by Sowerby but i can not find the patterns for them either all are unmarked which has not helped. regards Chris. :'(
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Re: milk glass jug Sowerby? help please
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 10:29:29 PM »
It's 3 1/2 inches in height.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 10:49:24 PM »
fractures in/on glass, should produce very smooth surfaces, as opposed to ceramics where presumably the breaks would show grainy/porous surfaces  - but if you can't bring yourself to break it... ;D ;D
I would have thought the foot rim should give the answer - or perhaps try a steel blade on the base somewhere.

Can't help with provenance etc., other than to say it doesn't look very Sowerby ish.          You have what appears to be a grape and vine decoration - so wonder if there is an alcohol connection somewhere - not the sort of image you'd expect on a milk/cream jug.

I wonder also if the lower busts/figures are related in some way.             The handle makes me think it has some age (assuming it's genuine), and I'll take a punt and suggest - vaguely - Bohemian ;)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 12:28:21 AM »
I have scratched this with a steel blade and it leaves a grey mark that can be wiped off, i found it with these two bits, (i'll put a pick on after this), it has no damage anywhere sods law, but mould marks front to back also the numbers 42  ive noticed stamped into the rim off the base. I don't really want to smash it up as i think it's mid Victorian what ever it is.
Chris Parry

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 07:41:27 AM »
I think it's ceramic. Can you see light through it?

Offline RoyJ99

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 08:09:29 AM »
Going by the photos I would say it is a type of ceramic called creamware.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 10:55:05 AM »
I’m not sure about the jug in the opening post, but I’m pretty sure that the creamer on the right in reply #3 is Henry Greener, Sunderland, unregistered design dating to 1875-1885ish. (I think I have reference photo of a matching creamer somewhere, and will post it if I can locate it).

I don’t recognise the creamer on the left in reply #3 as a Sowerby pattern, but the ropework handle is not dissimilar to those found on several Edward Moore pieces.

Fred.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 12:10:51 PM »
Isn't this vitro-porcelain ?  ??? ;D

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 04:52:33 PM »
Yes you can see light through it, i'm looking at this vitro- porcelain and to an old post on this board to which the base looks very similar. I'm not sure if i can quote old posts but here is the link, (http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10318/normal_DSCF1335.jpg), also Walter Crane's "oranges and lemons" flower trough looks similar, but i have not got that to hand.

First time i have ever heard of this  Vitro-Porcelain i just assumed the old bits of milk glass i have got from Sowerby were glass. Do you think i should post the other two jugs separate? i don't like filling the board up and i have hundreds of bits i'm not sure on i would like to find out information on.
Chris Parry

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 05:07:38 PM »
Bone china is also transluscent, but isn't glass. ;)              Real Vitro-Porcelain should be opaque, and will probably show mould seams somewhere (I think)

The name Vitro-Porcelain is misleading, perhaps, to folk who might have little experience of C19 pressed glass.              It isn't porcelain but glass (the give away is in the Vitro bit), and being opaque and frequently coloured does have the appearance of china/porcelain.
Sowerby are credited with the invention of 'Vitro-Porcelain', and its success was due possibly to the fact that whilst cheap to produce, it imitated the more expensive genuine porcelain that the working classes couldn't afford.

I've never tried making weight comparisons between real china and Vitro-Porcelain, but would imagine the glass form to be heavier than the china equivalent.

No problem in quoting or linking to old posts by the way. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand