No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pink Millefiori on Trellis  (Read 1079 times)

Offline BobKegeles

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • USA
    • Bubbles Baubles and Blown Glass
Pink Millefiori on Trellis
« on: June 12, 2014, 08:58:15 PM »
In my 11 months of dedicated buying and selling of W8s, I've probably seen 4 or 5 of these, most pink, one yellow.

What are the things I should be looking at to figure out rough age, country of origin, (I assume either US or China early 20th century), and whether it is an important, (valuable, or very collectible) piece, or simply a common pretty piece without significant value.

I see pieces that to my untrained eye, look very similar, and are very valuable. Yet these pop up very cheaply. This one cost me $6.00.

I had one basically identical, not in as good condition, (this one is pristine), I listed on eBay at $19.95 opening bid. Stating in the listing that I had no clue of it's value, that it could be a piece of junk (as far as collectability goes), or it could be a valuable antique, but that I didn't have a clue. It sold for $200ish with3 active bidders bidding it up.

This is 3-1/4" wide, 2" high, 1 pound 4 oz.

Bottom is highly polished, and the piece is crystal clear, with the "trellis" just perfect.

I'd love to know what these are. Any and all help will be very appreciated.

Bob
Bob Kegeles

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline RescoCCC

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • United States
Re: Pink Millefiori on Trellis
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 12:18:03 AM »
Want to double your money?  ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline BobKegeles

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • USA
    • Bubbles Baubles and Blown Glass
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 01:20:49 AM »
lol
Bob Kegeles

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 07:12:38 AM »

Hi.  I have seen a few of these - I have always assumed they were Murano.  The millefiori canes look like early - mid 20th C Murano ones.

Regarding your broader question on what to look out for, there is no simple answer I'm afraid.   You need to read books, visit fairs and auctions and handle paperweights, talk to fellow collectors and dealers, join paperweight clubs, and build your expertise.  And don't believe everything you read, especially on the internet - there are some dire sites that purport to help you identify paperweights, such as Hobbizine (full of misleading quotes from 80 year old books and catalogues, and very few images - it does more harm than good).

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline RescoCCC

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • United States
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 05:57:05 PM »
Here's my favorite site for reliable paperweight info.

http://www.pwts.co.uk

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand