No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bowl with no mark  (Read 960 times)

Offline pt1314

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • US
Bowl with no mark
« on: December 28, 2015, 02:31:39 AM »
This is a family bowl (from my husband's grandmother, who apparently had it from someone else in the family), and I've been trying for a bit to figure out what it is.  I can't find a manufacturer's mark.  The base looks like an extra piece attached (not very neatly) to the bowl, I've tried looking through it at a light but still can't find anything.  It is about 5.5" high, 13" from corner to corner.  Ideas appreciated, sorry if this is obvious I know nothing about glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Bowl with no mark
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 08:01:29 AM »
Welcome to the board. Unfortunately most glass is unmarked. I wonder if your bowl is Fenton Ruby Crest or Fenton hobnail.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline pt1314

• Members
    • US
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 05:41:55 PM »
Thanks, when I first started trying to figure out what it was I posted it on a Fenton board, and the members all said it wasn't Fenton.  I was excited to find this board - hopefully it will look familiar to someone!

Offline pt1314

• Members
    • US
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 02:23:33 AM »
If nobody can tell me what this is, can anyone suggest how I might go about having it identified?  I'm not sure who to ask.  I've ruled out Fenton.
Thanks,
P

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 04:15:23 PM »
Go to eBay & search Hobbs Brockunier Hobnail bowl. I think there is a chance you will find it there.

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 01:26:29 AM »
You may find similar bowls listed on ebay as Hobbs, Brockunier but that does not mean that all of them are Hobbs in actuality.  Your bowl is not a Hobbs product but is likely made by one of their competitors.  Candidates include but are not limited to Phoenix or La Belle.  Likely time frame 1887 +/-  a year or so.  This same bowl can be found in a number of different colour combinations and with/without that added pad foot.

I really like yours with that thin red edging, it is a combination I haven't seen before.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand