No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID Help: Iridescent Amethyst Vase - Shield mark. European?  (Read 1733 times)

Offline walkabout

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Art Glass
    • United States
Good day,

Recently acquired and I have no idea who made it, or when. 

The vase is 6" in height and about 4 1/2" at the widest part of the body. 

Going from the checklist of things to include, I would say that it is a fire polished rim. 

The base is deep and rounded and I've found no indication of mold lines or remnants of a pontil. 

The design looks to be a silver or a silver colored application of 'something' - a little course to the touch. 

The iridescence is both gold and blue and color transmutation(?) is dramatic in areas. 

There is a mark on the bottom that looks like a crowned shield with 'something' in it - design(?)  initials(?).

Me: I'm basically starting to collect glass and know little about it.  For years, been dealing with and collecting Japanese pottery, porcelain and watercolors.  This is a new area for me and I've a lot to learn

Any help ID'ing this piece would be appreciated - I wouldn't mind finding more, but knowing what I'm looking for would be quite helpful.

Thank you for your time.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: ID Help: Iridescent Amethyst Vase - Shield mark. European?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 07:08:15 AM »
Www.poschinger.de

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 09:46:22 AM »
Welcome to the board. Well done for providing everything we need. Mind you all IDs are not so quick...

Offline walkabout

• Members
    • Art Glass
    • United States
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 12:43:52 PM »
Www.poschinger.de

Good day Ivo,

Yes, that site was recommended and I've looked there. 

Is there a particular reason why that I might have missed, as I found nothing to indicate that this piece was, in fact, made by that manufacture.

I noted that the shield is a trademark or logo for von Poschinger.  Is this the only reason for mentioning this manufacture?   Having worked with oriental potteries and porcelains for 30+ years, I have seen much calligraphy that looks the same but has been separated by thousands of miles and hundreds of years.  Is there an example of this manufacture using the mark engraved on the bottom of the vase?  Or, is there a similar example of the design or something to indicate that there is a good chance this piece was made there or by them?

Thank you for taking the time to provide the reference - it is appreciated. 

Offline walkabout

• Members
    • Art Glass
    • United States
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 12:53:38 PM »
Welcome to the board. Well done for providing everything we need. Mind you all IDs are not so quick...

Thank you for your welcoming post.   :)

Over the years I've tried to do better when asking for assistance on a forum.  All too often, I have - and most assuredly will continue to - left something important out.

As far as quick replies, no problem.  With age, one frequently ends up with more time than sense, and often realizes that others have lives to live, too.

Again, thank you for the welcome.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 12:56:59 PM »
Ah I missed that this was your first post  - we usually say welcome t the board, sorry for missing that.

If this style is not in their current program then maybe you can ask them when it was discontinued? They're genuinely nice people who will answer such questions.

Offline walkabout

• Members
    • Art Glass
    • United States
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 01:08:32 PM »
Ah I missed that this was your first post  - we usually say welcome t the board, sorry for missing that.

If this style is not in their current program then maybe you can ask them when it was discontinued? They're genuinely nice people who will answer such questions.

Thank you for the welcome.  I tend to 'fly low' but always seem to end up getting noticed anyway.

I guess I will have to go through their site more carefully, as I missed all indication (other than custom made items) that this was of their design and/or manufacture.

Thank you for the nudge to try again.

Offline walkabout

• Members
    • Art Glass
    • United States
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 02:01:14 PM »

Well, thank you, once again.

I'm afraid that there aren't enough points to indicate that they had a hand in making my vase.  From all indications, they might be able to make something like it.  They do some very interesting things.  Art glass just doesn't seem to be one of them anymore.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 02:54:50 PM »
Another "Welcome" to the world of glass :)
I suspect you will not find your vase on the website as it is likely to be an older production, not their current ranges. The mark on the glass indicates they did make it.
You should follow Ivo's suggestion to contact them, with photos and ask directly when it was made and who designed it
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 06:59:20 PM »
Poschinger have been making glass since 1568 - there will have been very many ranges in that time... Very little glass is marked, so when it is someone often knows the mark, especially when it's got a handy letter (P) in this case. It's really only the crowns that can be confusing

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand