No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Early 18th century Bottle Seal ID, Help needed please  (Read 1124 times)

Offline paddyrat

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
Early 18th century Bottle Seal ID, Help needed please
« on: January 16, 2017, 09:10:38 PM »
Hi
I have just joined the Forum as I am trying to identify a Glass Seal found in a filed near Newton Abbot in Devon, UK.
Its dated 1715, and reads 'Hard#### of Newton'.   
Can anyone shed any light on this name?
Thanks in much anticipation.

Patrick

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Early 18th century Bottle Seal ID, Help needed please
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 09:37:50 PM »
Hardwood or Hardman appear to be registered under Baptism names in Devon for around that period (well there is a Hardwood for 1649, but Hardman is more popular).
Also Harding and Harden and Hardey and Hardie, Hardin, Hardle, Hardon, Hards and Hardy
I think the name of the owner was impressed on the seal wasn't it?
I could be wrong though ... I know absolutely nothing about bottles.

Perhaps it is the name of an Inn?

mm, I don't know exactly what this list is, but there are only two Hardings on it nothing else
and one is way too early

http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/DevonIndexes/Hoskins.html

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 09:53:57 PM »
ooh, I think it might read Hardwell? actually.
Not sure if that helps
m

Offline paddyrat

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 09:59:51 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts.   I think your right...it could be  Hardwell.    I will start googling! !

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 10:07:31 PM »
hmm,not a lot coming up.

I think .. though I could be wrong, that they did often have the owners names on them.
And there is an (?) Oxford college I think that had a large collection of early bottles. I think (?) from what I read, that they tended to have the names of the owners of the Inns on them iirc.   Someone there might be able to help?
I do know nothing about bottles though - I've only been reading about them because of an early Gloucestershire glass house that I was investigating  :-[
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 10:21:59 PM »
page 494 in this book talks about a House (?) called Ware that was the seat of the Horwells before passing to the Cliffords.  Think a Clifford married a female Horwell.
Just wondering if the name is misspelt somewhere along the line?
Book printed for Devon in 1822
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Y0hBAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA494&lpg=PA494&dq=Lord+cliffords+manor+newton+abbot&source=bl&ots=EBXzbmcCti&sig=5DdhFPZ02jIJ_tTI7l0duCe5NPE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiz65iv2MfRAhVKFMAKHZN3AaAQ6AEISzAI#v=onepage&q=hardwell&f=false

Is there still a Lord Clifford near Newton Abbot - they might be able to help maybe?
m

Offline paddyrat

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 12:06:27 PM »
It's definitely begind with Hard....  and I think your right about it being Hardwell.    I'm not having much luck finding anything out.

I wondered if there was a database of seals but perhaps not.

Will keep my fingers crossed.

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 12:43:23 PM »
Hi ,
         the seal will be the owner of the bottle,the best resources which I believe lists all known seals is ,"understanding Antique Bottles" by Roger Dumbrell, a huge though expensive book , but with all the information on antique bottles you will probably ever need ,another is "Antique Glass Bottles " By Willy Van Den Bossche ,the latest publication is a huge 3 volume work by David Burton "Antique sealed Bottles 1650-1900", again an expensive work and justifiably so with so much research and photography,
Bottles. unless full are not top of my interests so I don't have any of these books to hand to help you further ,
cheers ,

Peter.
ps the oxford bottles referred to with seals are for college rooms ie  A C C R  all souls common rooms

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 03:09:13 PM »
 ;D   quote    .....        "ie  A C C R  all souls common rooms"   .........     was that a deliberate mis-use of the second letter Peter ;)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 03:14:44 PM »
Re the Oxford bottles I was getting information from here just for interest :)  :

http://britisharchaeology.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/highlights/bottlesandseals.html

'The Ashmolean Museum holds a large collection of glass wine bottles and seals. With a few exceptions nearly all the Oxford bottles which bear stamps are connected with five taverns: the Salutation, The Mermaid, the Crown, the Three Tuns and the King's Head. The earliest recorded dated wine bottle seal belonged to William and Ann Morrell of the Crown and is dated to 1674.

Wine was sold for consumption in the taverns but was also sent out to be drunk in private houses and the colleges. Because of the University there were many wealthy people able to afford wine. Wine could also be sold by the taverns to inns that were not licensed to sell wine directly. This brought about the marking of the bottles with a seal of glass upon which was stamped the tavern sign, the name or initials of the owner and sometimes with a place name or date. A deposit was charged on each bottle. The bottles in the collection have been dug up all over Oxford during its redevelopment over the last 200 years.'

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand