No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Webb Corbett mark  (Read 1525 times)

Offline Ben.unwin

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Webb Corbett mark
« on: April 27, 2017, 05:47:01 PM »
Bought this vase from a carboot sale last weekend.
Felt like quality to me and without any damage which is a plus.
It's signed to the base with a date inside the Webb Corbett logo which I haven't seen before.
1961 which reads the same upside down!
I didn't think anything of it, but they're normally marked with the letters to indicate where they've been made.
It's probably nothing but thought I'd share in case anyone had some info :)

Ben

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Webb Corbett mark
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 07:51:45 PM »
I agree about the T for Tutbury and S for Stourbridge...............    I also didn't know that an asterisk, apparently, indicates made at both factories.

According to Leslie Jackson '20th Century Factory Glass' - p. 249  .....  "1952 - 9: marked with year of production" - but like so many of these backstamps there are variations and anomalies.     
I seem to remember Bernard Cavelot saying that the actual dates for the S and T productions were more extensive than the literature suggested.

However, very interesting. :)                  Do you know if the pattern has a name?

Offline user9318

• Members
Re: Webb Corbett mark
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 05:39:40 AM »
I have a Webb Corbett vase here, with the same markings, but the numbers are 68

I have also had drinking glasses with the same marks, with varying date numbers (62, 63 and 68 mostly).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand