No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue trailed vase  (Read 6648 times)

Offline AndyD

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • studio glass
    • United Kingdom
Blue trailed vase
« on: June 16, 2017, 05:54:24 PM »
Hi,
Would anybody know who made this vase and when. It has a faint greeny tinge and lots of tiny bubbles within the glass. Flat polished base but unmarked. It is 15 cm tall and approx 11 cm O/D across the rim.

Many thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Blue trailed vase
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 06:12:18 PM »
Hiya!
I need Glassobsessed's opinion to add to mine, but I have a very funny feeling you might have an exceptionally scarce bit of early Mdina there, if it is, it's by Michael Harris.
I know of one other piece like it, and it is John's. It was bought directly from the Harris family's own private collection.
I do recognise the way the strapping is executed, I have a large amethyst bottle with this sort of strapping on, see if you think it could be the same hand. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline AndyD

• Members
    • studio glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 06:33:31 PM »
Thanks, that's interesting as I bought it as a piece of Mdina. but when I saw it in the flesh I didn't think it could be. The top looks to have been ground and polished which i have never seen on a Mdina piece, but the green swirl and multi bubbles made me think it could be.
Shame it's not etched as there would then be no doubt.

Thanks again,

Andy

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 06:47:04 PM »
 ???
If it is, it's very early and of an experimental nature, a little taller than John's small pot.

The ground and polished rim is not right, but I can't actually see it too well in your pics.

There is a possibility it got damaged and was subsequently ground and polished to remove a chip or something.

The round, polished pontil mark would be right, I can't tell from photos whether or not you have cobalt glass as well as teal in it, (John's piece is cobalt).
Camera's simply don't pick up the differences in colour well enough.

( ;) heehee ) an early, experimental bit of Mdina and you are "complaining" about the lack of a mark on it? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You don't want much do you? ;D ;D ;D

(Please, don't take offence, I'm just teasing. This might be a rather exciting thing.)

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline AndyD

• Members
    • studio glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 08:02:52 AM »
The top is as finished, which is why I don't think it is a Mdina piece but maybe as you say an experimental item. Your bottle is lovely and I can see the similarities in the trailing. On mine however the trailing is flat and very neat, just two trails the same, one on each side.

As you say it is exciting to think it may be a rare Mdina piece but without confirmation it is a bit frustrating.

Thanks again for your help. No offence taken  :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 10:45:21 AM »
There is unlikely ever to be confirmation, just educated opinion, which is why I still want to hear what John has to say. My eyesight is not what it was a few years ago.
Is there any chance of a pic of the rim that is in better focus?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline AndyD

• Members
    • studio glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 11:52:01 AM »
Hopefully this shows the top a little better. The top of the trailing is smoothed into the rim which is why I am not sure about it being a Mdina piece. I didn't think they had the tools to do this kind of finish, unless it was done whilst the glass was still hot.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 12:04:30 PM »
The pontil mark is polished, so it would have been made after they got polishing facilities of some sort. It looks more polished inside the rim than on top.
I really want to get my hands on it for a feel. It's so hard telling from pics. :-\

;D ;D ;D
I've just had a bright thought.
I have an early Mdina textured pot with a similar rounder and inturned rim, one with a round polished pontil mark.
I haven't got pics yet, and i'm about to go out, but I'll get pics later. The rim does look and feel a bit polished, just like yours does.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 12:10:45 PM »
It looks fine, can't see the rim being cut and polished from your photos. It is from Mdina, presumably made within the first year or two so 1969 or 70 would be favourite. At least one has cropped up for sale on ebay in the last year or two.

The vase Sue mentioned that I have is shown here, not the best photos though: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,64206.msg360004.html#msg360004

The pontil mark is polished, so it would have been made after they got polishing facilities of some sort
They used to send stuff elsewhere for polishing before they bought their own kit (I forget the details but the info is in Mark Hill's book).

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 12:50:35 PM »
Thanks, John.
With both of us agreeing, I think we can be 99.9999% sure it's absolutely right. ;D
The rim is the same as my pot, but I will get pics later for confirmation for you, Andy.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand