No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: :: Car boot sale find : coloured heavy glass block with scooped centre  (Read 929 times)

Offline sheriffof0

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • general
    • United Kingdom
Hello Glassheads!

Can anyone here shed any light on this fantastic object I acquired for a few shillings last weekend?

I'm doubtful it's an ashtray or a soap-dish - it's not really well-designed for either purpose.

Of course it may be a purely decorative item but it's certainly solid and well-made but there's no identifying marks.

I'm thinking 70s and maybe Swedish but what do I know?

Thanks for any advice concerning origins, date & manufacture.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Helen W.

• Members
    • 20th C. Still refining!
    • UK
Re: :: Car boot sale find : coloured heavy glass block with scooped centre
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 12:26:24 PM »
I remember seeing these in the 70s. Popular with smokers.  ;) Yours is the first (I think) I've clapped eyes on since my teens.

As for origin, I'm going for the broad brush: Murano or Czech. No doubt someone else can be more specific.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Helen W.

• Members
    • 20th C. Still refining!
    • UK
Re: :: Car boot sale find : coloured heavy glass block with scooped centre
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 02:40:56 PM »
Here's an example of your ashtray, but with a two-colour sommerso well and a colourless outer casing. The brown/blue colourway of your ashtray is one I remember well from my childhood. They tended to get some abuse, ending up scratched and chipped.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/c1970-Murano-Sommerso-Block-Glass-Dish-by-Seguso/163030664149?hash=item25f56283d5:g:GJ0AAOSwTORa6zDg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand