No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: German Uranium Glass vase.  (Read 875 times)

Offline JaguarXJS

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
German Uranium Glass vase.
« on: February 05, 2020, 07:57:13 AM »
I have this old vase that has been passed down to me.  My German grandmother gave this to my mother back in the 70s and told her at that time it was very old.  The base even has ware marks on it from years of moving it around.  The vase stands about 9" tall.  I have attached pictures of the vase and makers mark.  I have not been able to find this mark anywhere.  Or I'm just not looking in the writhe place  :-\

Looking for any information available.

Thank you in advance!
Calvin 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: German Uranium Glass vase.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 08:21:03 AM »
Hi Calvin, welcome to the GMB.          Deciphering blackletter gothic script isn't my forte, though am sure some of the girls over the Channel may know what this word is ………………………    in the meantime are you able to interpret for us what you suggest is the makers mark/name.
Your vase certainly looks to be uranium - assume you've checked using a blacklight?
It's possible the word is in fact the name of the maker of the your glass, though this isn't always the case  -  sometimes names of places are used, as for example on tourist pieces.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline JaguarXJS

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 04:41:36 AM »
Thank you for the friendly welcome Paul.

I have done some research on the name (headache!).  The best I can come up with for a translation is "Ynufehe" in Fraktur script.  The hard part is the fist letter.  "V" is more common leading "n" but it better matches "Y" because of the left swing of the tail at the bottom or was that just flare?. But if you start looking at Fraktur, there are some examples that would make you think, maybe!!! lol.  The "f" could also be an "s", but I believe "f" and the "h" could be an "n" but better resembles the "h".

I have tried searching the name with all the variations of letters but have not found anything.  When I started getting German web sites, I knew I was getting close but no exact match.

The script dates 1500s - 1940s.  But the degree of wear on the base from being moved around is more than the past 100 years.  All the engraving is carved and not etched.   

I have not checked it with a black light.  Gave those up in the early 80s,  8) so I may need to pick one up to verify the glass type.

I'm still searching but looking forward to any other information anyone may have.

Offline BlueOctopus

• Members
    • Glass in all forms ages
    • Germany
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 07:19:00 AM »
Hello and good morning

I´m german and I should be able to read it, but I´m not. ??? ??? ??? :'( :'( :'( :'( I spend quite a time yesterday to find it out, I agree the first letter is the hardest.

I think it is:  Xausche or Xnusche

I´m pretty sure that the f is an old s, and the second is a n or an a

my nearest to glas is than Lauscha, that makes until now the most sence to me. Behind the last letter is a small point, so maybe tis is a rest of an a.

Lauscha is an Region in Germany where a lot of glas was produced. the acid  landscape signature also fits to the kind of signatures i would expect from Lauscha. But this all only riddled.

Monika

Offline JaguarXJS

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 07:45:51 AM »
Thank you Monika,

I have looked at 100s of variations of this script.  I can speak German but not read or write very well.  So trying to convert it to something I can understand has not been easy.  You have provided me with a little more information that may get me closer.  Today I have been searching Google.de and started searching German glass museums and collectors sites.  Not sure if a museum would be willing to help but even thought about writing them.

Let me know if you run across any more information.

Vielen Dank für Ihre Hilfe  :)

Calvin

Offline Jay

• Members
    • http://www.hogelandshoeve.be
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 08:55:30 AM »
Bauscher, I think. but possibly Lauscha. Both are glass producers!
Dutch and Flemish 20th Century Factory Glass

Offline BlueOctopus

• Members
    • Glass in all forms ages
    • Germany
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 12:49:54 PM »
Jay, I think you made it. Bauscher than the last point is the Rest of an r. Unfortunately my Glasmarken Lexikon is missing Bauscher, but I heard the name as well, producing glas. I found that Bauscher was founded as Glas Hagelücken already in 1748.
Monika

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 03:45:02 PM »
I don't think the last letter is worn away.  I think it looks like a full stop but the photo is not large enough to have a good clear look really.  It looks like Lauscha to me, however admittedly the Gothic first letter definitely looks like a B rather than an L. 
Is it possible to upload larger format photos please?  600x  400 pixels which should mean they enlarge enough to see clear details of the enamelling and the base.
Thanks
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand