No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ysart vase  (Read 1277 times)

Offline bag5f

• Members
Ysart vase
« on: July 05, 2020, 05:52:46 PM »
Ysart vase. Never seen one similar other than in Ysart paperweights of flowers in a vase. Marked surface tooling and button Pontil. 20cm. I understand that vase was discussed at a Stourbridge Meeting. Any further information would be useful.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Ysart vase
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 06:20:25 PM »
Weird one. The colours look very Perthshire, as does the way the swirls are made (very round and tight) but Perthshire wouldn't have a button, and I'm very unsure about there being surface marks - I can see them, but normally, they've been better marvered in..
Are you reluctant to take the extra paper labels off the button? They might be related to sales, but don't look original to the piece. I think you can take them off quite safely.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bag5f

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 07:11:53 PM »
Sorry on my iPhone only gives option to print your reply, but omits the reply option. Have taken off label and typical button. Will have to re-photograph again. I am a long term collector of Monart/Ysart glass and Ysart paperweights  and have and had many surface decorated pieces. This is an old piece, with a lot of wear on the base. The milky white inner lining is very similar to an old pumice finish that I sold a couple of years ago. Having said all of this I agree that the colours are totally wrong and that what makes it interesting. I will send you the image of the pontil and further examples of the marvelling. The entire surface is tooled as I will show you. There was a bowl recently on EBay in the same colours and was I recall described as Perthshire, but I was not sure and suggested that someone checked the canes against older known canes.

Offline bag5f

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 07:32:42 PM »
Here are two images. Had problems reducing them. Please let me know if the are OK. Shows surface and pontil.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 07:50:57 PM »
 :) Those pics are marvellous. Your button is nibbled! And the pale blue starts looking a little more like Monart's "queen mother" blue. But it's the deeper blue worries me more. It's one I associate more with Perthshire. I'm not even that sure about it being in Strathearn.
I have family who collect Ysart glass, it's not me, so my knowledge is a bit hazy.
But I know what I'm looking at and there's little I haven't seen. But not paperweights. ;)

I'm sure I have seen a Strathearn vase in this colour combination, come to think of it. It was a strange one, no swirls, just banded, I think.
I did swither about it, but left it.

We do have somebody here, KevH, who pretty much qualifies as a "glass cane archaeologist" and Ysart glass is his speciality too. I'm sure he could help with your caned thing.
Have you found or searched Frank Andrews "Scotland's Glass" website yet?

http://scotlandsglass.co.uk/

http://ysartglass.com/

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline bag5f

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 08:24:43 PM »
I have met Frank and Ian Turner and I lived in Scotland for 12 years and went to the Perth meeting that Frank organised. Pity that you can't handle the piece you would see that it is an old vase. I have handled a lot of Perthshire and Strathearn. This is very thick and typical of the older pieces in feel and weight. I know of KevH more for his knowledge on paperweights. Yes, thank you  I am aware of everything on Frank's web site and I have had quite a number of those pieces in my collection from time to time. This piece has always troubled me and I know that it was discussed many years ago and hoped that someone there may come up with some answers. I appreciate your interest and input.

Offline bag5f

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 07:20:29 AM »
I don't have contact details for Ian Turner or Frank Andrews anymore. If anybody has contact with them I would be interested to have their input.
Many thanks
Barry Gusterson

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 12:19:31 PM »
I was at the Perth conference too.  :)
Frank does pop in here, you should be able to find a post by him and pm him from that?

Done it for you. :)
Post on Snowglobes Frank started. At the left hand side, there are icons under his username. Click on the envelope one. You will be able to send him a message from the board. He will be able to email you back from that.

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,55177.0.html

I can ask my family where Ian is. Last I heard, he was collecting Candyware, but that was a long time ago.
Sorry for assuming you were a bit less knowledgable than you are - but we can never tell with somebody new.

I think the nibbled button is a bit of an important clue. That gives it its age. That is not in doubt. :)
I'm not surprised you're curious about it. It is very, very unusual.   8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline bag5f

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 03:53:41 PM »
Thanks very much. I have been away, hence delay in reply. If you could contact Frank that would be very helpful. Also please do pass around any contacts; all input would be very welcome.
Barry

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 04:10:47 PM »
If you go to the link I provided, you can contact Frank directly yourself.  :)

I have asked my family about finding Ian, but haven't heard back yet.
Have you considered Chic Murray?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand