No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Henry Greener Basket Rd. 95935  (Read 864 times)

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Henry Greener Basket Rd. 95935
« on: November 25, 2021, 03:23:53 PM »
This has the Rd. No. 95935 registered 16/3/1888. It's quite large with a maximum diameter of 21cm. and a height of 19cm., weight is spot on 1kg. Jenny Thompson's book has a partial illustration of the pattern which in full is quite complicated and not at all symmetrical. This one has a faint mauve colouring from exposure to sunlight.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Henry Greener Basket Rd. 95935
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 07:43:59 PM »
how confusing - have to say I'd never realized that the complete pattern - on the glass - was mainly very different to that shown in the original factory drawing - see attached picture.       Sun purpling due to u.v. (presumably) acting on the manganese.         Hope you don't mind me adding that bit ;D

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 08:13:11 PM »
Yes Paul, it seems to comprise of 8/10 different patterns ??? Under UV it has a quite strong green manganese glow.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 06:42:15 PM »
There is a basket on Ebay with just the pattern shown in the factory drawing, for £13 under Henry Greener glass . The seller gives the Rd. 96775, 28/3/1888.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 08:05:39 PM »
Jenny Thompson - p. 13 - shows a glass plate the pattern of which carries not only the pattern of the factory drawing of Rd. 95935, but a lot of other unrelated design too as seen on Nev's basket (plus massive Greek Key), and against which she shows Rd. 98551. 
Also on p. 13, Thompson shows the 'segment' of pattern 95935, which obviously the lady copied direct from the factory drawing.
Finally, Thompson shows a 'twig' handle identical to the handle on Nev's basket, against which she includes the No. 96775.

Thompson ends the page by writing ...................  "The three Registered Numbers  -  95935, 96775 and 98551 - may appear on those baskets which have this design".    The Nos. in italics are my doing.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2021, 03:34:32 AM »
98551 is also discussed in this old topic - which shows my footed bowl with this number on it http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,4074.0.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2021, 02:00:12 PM »
I should have noticed earlier this has the Rd 96775 at one end of the handle. I've also just noticed the comment on Anne's post that this may be a trade sample item, which seems logical.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand