No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Yellow and red Spanish (?) style  (Read 1224 times)

Offline robdb8

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
Yellow and red Spanish (?) style
« on: December 05, 2021, 01:42:29 AM »
Hi everybody,

I'm tired of looking for this to find no results.  I have taken numerous photos with Google lens to no avail.  What I have is this beautiful yellow and red bowl.  The ribbon like design reminds me of a Spanish type pattern.  Then there is the red grass blades with the yellow behind them.  There are no makers marks or known origins.  The rougher glass on the outside is separated with a thin layer of white, then a super smooth layer of yellow on the inside.  It is about 6 inches wide by about 5 inches tall.

Any and all information on this piece would be greatly appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Yellow and red Spanish (?) style
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 02:11:37 AM »
Hello and welcome to the board. I can't help with your lovely bowl but I'm sure someone else will be able to provide some pointers that might help.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 09:23:28 AM »
hi - regret I'm no wiser than you as to an origin.           Looking at the red decoration, first impressions are that it's been created in a manner similar to cameo - either a manual process to create the frieze or, possibly more likely, an acid etched style.           The depth of the intaglio pattern appears quite substantial - in places almost back to the base white/cream colour.          Just a personal take on the style of the decoration doesn't off hand make me think Spanish or Moorish, but who knows, you could well be correct.             

The red decoration has a very geometric look - an absence of freehand styling perhaps - might this suggest a mechanical means?                     You don't mention wear  -  does the base wear suggest this might have the sort of age to take it back to c. 1900 - 1920?            Appreciate your frustration, but the world is knee deep in unattributed glass - both shoddy, and classy such as this piece, and regret we have to live with this disappointment - it's maddening when a good piece lacks provenance in the form of a back stamp.

Was this an estate sale piece - any clues from that source as to it's history?              Sorry to appear dim, but don't quite follow your comments  .................  "The rougher glass on the outside is separated with a thin layer of white, then a super smooth layer of yellow on the inside."          If you have the time perhaps you might clarify if possible.     thanks

Very interesting piece  -  we do our best to help, but fail, often. :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 10:38:20 AM »
Looks like a gorgeous piece of cameo glass to me.

Sorry I can't help with a maker offhand but will have a look through books/images later.

In the meantime someone might be able to tell you straight off who it is.
Thank you for posting.

m

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2021, 01:24:19 PM »
Could it possibly be Chinese/Peking cameo glass?
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline robdb8

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2021, 01:38:45 PM »
Paul,

When I say the inside is super smooth, it's really more so in comparison to the outside.  The outside isn't rough in the aspect of unfinished, more like a matte type finish to me.  As far as where I obtained it... Goodwill.  So definitely no background there.  As far as wear, there is very little.  Light scuffing on the bottom.  One teeny chip off of the trident (?) around the top, which you can actually see in the picture if you look closely enough (right hand side, 2nd or 3rd from right) and that left a shinny glass edge, which is how I spotted it.  Then there are small, and I can't stress small enough, black holes near the base that I tried scrubbing off when I cleaned it only to realize that they were hollow black holes.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2021, 01:44:40 PM »
Lucky you!

It's also uranium glass I think.  The cream layer I mean.
The inside is smooth because it's not been matted/frosted.
The little black specks were in the glass when it was made I suspect.  Old glass.

Pretty sure it's not Chinese.
Wondering if it might Thomas Webb though?

It's gorgeous.  A really a fabulous find. 
m

Offline robdb8

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2021, 02:14:52 PM »
Thanks for the compliments, I made a rule to myself a long time ago and it has often returned great results.  If I've never seen anything like it before, I buy it.  This piece was definitely a one of a kind in my mind (as far as never having seen anything like it).  Unfortunately, that also comes with the great burden of lots of research to figure out the w's behind it.

Offline robdb8

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2021, 02:26:22 PM »
Pretty sure it's not Chinese.
Wondering if it might Thomas Webb though?

So I did a simple "yellow and red cameo glass" Google search and I can definitely see where you're coming from.  Lots of very similar styles, I'm going to run with this info for a while and see what I can find.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2021, 02:51:15 PM »
It was the base particularly which made me think possibly Chinese, the green colour does suggest it is partly uranium glass, perhaps it's the clear yellow layer, this would probably mean it's not Chinese.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand